question

Carl avatar image
Carl asked

Monitor Orion DC-DC with Cerbo GX

I have a 360w Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated in my system.

Is it possible to see the Orion like a MPPT module in Cerbo system?

Or at least a separate charge value for just the Orion?

cerbo gxorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley answered ·

Sadly no. But if you have checked the "has DC system" you will see the current flow from the DC system towards your battery bank when the Orion is providing current through your shunt.

1650531409316.png

1650531409316.png (80.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Carl avatar image
Carl answered ·

Sorry for the highjacking ...!!

But is it possible fore exemple put a SmartShunt between the Orions and the battry so see the output from the orions on the cerbo...?

1 comment
2 |3000

pfleu avatar image pfleu commented ·
I've read it is indeed possible with the *isolated* version of the Orion.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image
David answered ·

@Carl , the answer is yes :)

I have a BMV-712 between the Starter Battery and my DC-DC Charger and so can see what it is doing and also log it.

In my case, I have a 60A DC-DC Charger. I have it set so it needs a +Ve on a sense input to activate (I use an ignition +ve signal for that)

The graph below shows the sense input (Green - shown as the Starter Battery voltage), the output voltage (Black - the Hab/Leisure Battery Voltage) and the output current (Green).

Ignore the difference in scales - can't do anything about that :(

1663082625906.png

You can set the BMV to be a DC Load Monitor instead of the usual SOC monitor and so see the power in Watts directly, but you only get to see the data at the point of time and nothing is logged, so I kept it as a regular SOC setup and just ignore the SOC info. (Maybe Victron will at some time start logging the Load Monitor info? would be very useful!)

In your case, the AMC 60A B2B would be the Orion DC-DC, the BMV-712 would be a SmartShunt, and you could if you wanted connect the Starter Battery to the Remote Plug if you use that feature, or to the Starter Battery (which is interesting actually as you can do a useful comparision of how it converts the level of voltage in to voltage out).

FWIW, I have a starter battery trickle charger on the B2B Input and Output +ves, and so can also monitor that, which would be seen as a very small negattive current.

1663082625906.png (63.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Carl avatar image Carl commented ·

Do you see the shunt on the cerbo as a separate tile?

0 Likes 0 ·