question

fplouffe avatar image
fplouffe asked

Phoenix Inverter 12/1200 overloading from a curling iron?

I don't have lots of experience with inverters.

I have a brand new Phoenix 12/1200 inverter that I am want to use as portable backup power source.

I tested the inverter using a curling iron; I measure this device with a KillAWatt at drawing around 2.5A on 120V - about 300W.

The Phoenix inverter goes into overload very quickly when I turn on the iron. On the Victron app (I have a VE.Direct adapter), I see the meter go up to about 700VA before overloading.

This is quite far from the 12/1200 rating: continuous 1000W and no where near the 2200 W peak.

I know about the de-rating with increased temperature, my garage is at 11 Celsius.

I also tested with my sump pump that draw close 500W with no problem. I cycle it couple of time without issue.

So I really don't understand why the relative small 3 amp load from the iron push the Phoenix into overload.

Phoenix Invertersupport
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @fplouffe,

Some loads in particular are quite difficult for inverters to power. Specifically heating elements (heatguns, hairdryers, etc) that use triac or non-linear power controls. They do this so they can run common elements at lower power levels (or adjustable power from the same element).

Here is an extract from Wiring Unlimited.

cleanshot-2022-04-15-at-100651.jpg

The inverter is designed (and rated) to supply power from the whole sine wave.

In the case of your inverter, 1200VA.

If only a small part of that total sine wave is used (and the rest chopped), lets say 20%, then only 20% of that 1200VA is available (240VA).

So even though the load is only rated at 300W, it demands that 1500W from only 20% of the sinewave, instead of spreading a continuous 300W load out over the whole cycle, it's a 1500W for 0.2 of the cycle, 0W for 0.8 of the cycle for 300W rating.

Even when the inverter is large enough to run the load, there is additional stress on the inverter and it's capacitors from this load type too, it's likely you can hear that it is unhappy with this type of load as it tries to power it.

It might be possible to find another model appliance that is more compatible, using a linear 300W element, instead of a 1500W element that is running 20% of the cycle, but you would have to test it first to see as this is not commonly available information.

An ever better idea, if possible, is to find a DC appliance that bypasses the inverter all together for this kind of thing. Then it is certain to work.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fplouffe avatar image fplouffe commented ·
Thanks Guy for the thorough and quick response.

It never occurred to me that business about triac operation even though all my house's electric baseboard heaters are controlled by triac thermostats... that I installed myself.

It's difficult to confirm the curling iron in question indeed uses triac, but that make so much sense.

Now I need to find myself a linear load. If only I had more old 100w bulbs left, that'd be easy.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ fplouffe commented ·
Basic fan heater maybe? These usually work by switching the element on and off, not regulating output with a triac.

I have the same problem as you with a heat gun. My fan heater is fine.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
2 slice toaster would fit as a good load.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron - Where to buy - Authorised Installers, Sales and Distribution

Warranty and Repairs.