question

kkiksu avatar image
kkiksu asked

Generator shown as grid in VRM

Why my generator is showing as grid in VRM? We are off grid, so basically this is not a problem, but is there any way to change this? 1648208777740.png

VRMGenerator
1648208777740.png (85.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kkiksu avatar image
kkiksu answered ·

Ok, answer to myself. Found the solution from Remote Console. Settings-> system setup.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @kkiksu

You can change it in the GX..

1648209303693.pngBut I suggest you don't, as VRM doesn't then count the battery input in the summaries, and the piecharts and balances don't make sense. With Grid it's ok.

1648209303693.png (50.5 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Just as an update, VRM now counts and displays generator and shore power input (just like the Grid), so you can set it accurately with no loss of functionality.
1 Like 1 ·
kkiksu avatar image kkiksu commented ·
Okay, thank you for the advice! Already asked elsewhere, but i'll try my luck. Can I enable battery monitor and rely on readings with my system setup where I'm using both solar and generator for battery charging? Or do I in this case need smartshunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ kkiksu commented ·
The Multi/Quattro SOC is a pretty basic thing, and is less useful with solar (there used to be a setting in the GX to tell it to add in the mppt data, but I'll let you find it). Makes the result a bit iffy. Ok if you're happy with iffy..

The real beauty of the Smartshunt is that (with DVCC) the mppt can then use the battery current to terminate Absorb at a Tail setting. Up to a max of 10A, so check that before buying for that reason.

I've a well-tuned Sshunt and it returns to the sync point every day to within 0.2% SOC either way. That's pretty good, and even some of the monitoring means don't run to using a decimal point.

Depends on how accurate you want to be. Batts are expensive though, and I think the shunts are great value.

0 Likes 0 ·
thomas007 avatar image
thomas007 answered ·

@kkiksu, What inverter you use in your installation? A Multiplus 2 or a Quattro? We are running a grid parallel MP 2 and i want to install a second inverter, a Phoenix Smart Inverter, to increase the ouput power of the MP2. Saw this in a youtube video from Andy from the "Off-Grid Garage" and he starts the Phoenix with the "Generator Start/Stop" assistant load dependend. Works very well. And it would be great tho see the generator tab next to the grid tab as AC input.

2 |3000