question

kevin-horn avatar image
kevin-horn asked

Orion tr smart single battery setup

1. I have a system in a boat where I will be installing lithium house battery system. I want to charge house with stand alone 12v Alternator on one engine. Other engine 24v for starting system. My question is I want to use 2 Orion smart dc to dc charger to keep Alternator amperage in check with the lithium installed. However what happens if the battery bms disconnects on the load side of the dc to dc when fully charged, will the Alternator also see an open and fry the Alternator. I have no other start battery connected to the system. Stand alone Alternator for charging house. Will the Orion provide enough load as to not have Alternator see an open. Not using battery with external bms
Lithium Batteryorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I dont think a B2B charger would fare to well being supplied by an alternator, without a battery to smooth out it's output.

If that was what you are asking?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevin-horn avatar image
kevin-horn answered ·

Yes this is kinda what I'm asking. If I have the Orion connected directly to the output of the 12v Alternator and then to the lithium bank for engine charging will I have a problem if the battery bms disconnects the batteries from the system when full charged, under over temp etc. Alternator shouldn't be disconnected from load when running. Or will the Orion provide enough load on the Alternator (or Alternator won't see an open as Orion still connected) to not damage Alternator? Why do you think Orion won't do well without a buffer battery? It will see 14v or so from Alternator when running and regulate to whatever charge voltage I have set. I'm just using the Orion to limit current in the system as the low impedence of the lithium would cause Alternator to run at very high amperage and possibly overheat. Does this make sense or is there another product that might be better?

Thanks for your responses

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
I think that without a battery present on the output of the alternator, you would experience DC voltage ripple, and potentially experience voltage spikes if the load disconnects
0 Likes 0 ·
kevin-horn avatar image kevin-horn klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Ya thank you thats what I've kinda figured out too. The b2b won't necessarily fix the load dump on the alternator if the bms disconnects. I'll have to figure out a different way to do it.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·