question

cogito44 avatar image
cogito44 asked

How to connect an energy meter ET112 to 2 Venus GX ?

I currently have a small facility in my house including:

MultiPlus 24 V 3000 VA

Venus GX

ET112 with RS485 adapters

I would like to put a bigger installation in my garage (50 m from the meter)

I wonder if it was possible to have the ET112 meters communicated with the GX House Venus and Venus Garage GX?

I bought the Zigbee modules (and DRF2658C DRF2659C) Is it possible to put the RS485 transmitter -> Zigbee and 2 USB receivers -> Zigbee on Venus GX?

Or, is it possible to put the ET112 counter on an Ethernet network?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am French excuse me if there are errors in English.

FR :

Je dispose actuellement d’une petite installation constituée de :

MultiPlus 24 V 3000 VA

Venus GX

ET112 avec adaptateurs RS485

Je souhaiterais mettre une plus grosse installation dans mon garage (à 50 m du compteur)

Je me demander si cela était possible de faire communiqué le compteur ET112 avec le Venus GX et Venus GX du garage ?

J’ai acheté les modules Zigbee ( DRF2658C et DRF2659C) est-il possible de mettre l’émetteur RS485 ->Zigbee et 2 récepteurs USB -> Zigbee sur les Venus GX ?

Ou, est-il possible de mettre sur un réseau Ethernet le compteur ET112 ?

Merci d’avance pour votre aide.

Je suis français excusez-moi s’il y a des erreurs en anglais.

CCGX Color ControlEnergy Meterrs485
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi,

Sorry, but that’s impossible.

A) the the communication between meter and Venus GX-es will not work. It’s not capable of it that way.

B) you can’t have two ESS systems in parallel on one connection. The system won’t be stable.

Désolée!

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Schalk van der Merwe avatar image Schalk van der Merwe commented ·

Hi Mr @mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

A question please: i am searching for details on the connection of a logger (ET112) to the Venus GX when I found this post. Being VERY new with Victron i just want to double check please.

I did buy the RS485-to-USB cable, which was the preferred method of communication between the two devices, but with limited distance. In the ET112 manual (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:et112 ) on page 4 it says: "Note: You can wire on a RJ45 plug which can plug into the front of either RJ45 socket of the Energy meter, it has the same pin out."

Maybe different from the above users request, my connection is a point-to-point RJ45 or ethernet link, and not a ethernet network (routers, hubs and other devices also connect to a network).

My question may be silly (but as i said i am new wiht Victron): A.)will this work and B.)to what port do i connect in on the Venus, the VE.Can or VE.BUS. The manual say you can use either port on the ET112 but i want to please make sure on the Venus also.

And C.)do i use a regular PC network cable, RJ45? Sounds silly but i remembered when networks was new there was a special cable to directly link two PCs together if no router/hub was available. Something to do with one or two of the wires had to be switched for it to work.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Schalk van der Merwe commented ·

The rj45 is just a cable.

Its not an ethernet port. No computer network. I advise to use the other terminals on the ET112, since then you don’t have to cut open the other end of that cable in order to connect it to the usb rs485

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

And, hi! Good morning.

;o)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic