question

Alain Ross avatar image
Alain Ross asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120 tail current configuration

Hello Community,

My Charging System consist of a Multiplus 12/3000/120, MPPT 150/100 & BMV-712 all communicating together via a CCGX...

I Cannot find a way to program my multiplus to transfer from absorption to float mode when my tail current is reach, I only have the absorption time option in my setting option..

I will like to know if it possible for my Multiplus to look at my BMV or MPPT tail current via my system to stop absorption charge when this parameter are reach.

The reason for this is to prevent excessive charging via my generator when i'm not around to turn it off,,

Thanks in advance for your help & keep pushing the limit !!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery chargingBMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I don't think you can. But if you have adaptive charging on, the absorption time is adjusted depending on depth of discharge. Tail current is used for the BMV to know when to set 100% charge.

If you have a way of turning off the generator, you could use the BMV internal relay to switch the generator on/off. It works on voltage.

Do you have lithium batteries? If not, little to worry about.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Alain Ross

If you have set up the BMV correctly, the system will move correctly through the Bulk absorption float cycle and the BMV will commuicate through the CCGX to the Multi. So no user intervention or programming on the Multi needed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alain Ross avatar image Alain Ross commented ·
Thanx Alexandra... Maybe, I miss something here, because my Multiplus dont look to turn to float charging when my tail current on my BMV setting is reach. Do you think it can be related to my DVCC on my CCGX is not activate for the moment,, At the moment I try to find out if this DVCC option is applicable to my application or not....I will get to it,,,I promise !!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The chargers in the Multi and the MPPT are designed to run 24/7 and will enter float to maintain the battery at an optimum voltage to prevent damage. It really is not possible to overcharge your batteries.

Controlling the generator is another issue. You don't want it to run if it's energy isn't needed. While the BMV's relay can be used, a better choice would be to use the the CCGX generator system. The automatic start/stop rules cover almost every possible scenario: SOC, battery voltage, load, different settings for normal and "quiet time" and more. All you need is a generator that you can start and stop with a single closure (close = run, open = stop).

1 comment
2 |3000

Alain Ross avatar image Alain Ross commented ·
Thanx Kevin, This is really good information for my future remote control generator installation,, & guess what... It will be a YAMAHA for sure :)...I still cannot believe the infinity possibility of Victron System,, just take some time to understand how it works & after that Sky is the limit !!!
0 Likes 0 ·