question

niccyba avatar image
niccyba asked

MultiPlus 24/5000/120 - Quick installation guide

Hi all,

I have a Multiplus 24/5000 I'm just about to install. Reading through the quick installation guide, the order seems to be:

1. Mount it and remove front panel
  2. Fit auxillary cables (temp/volt sensor etc.)
  3. Connect main battery
  4. Connect trickle battery
  5. Connect control panel
  6. Connect earth
  7. Connect AC-Out-1
  8. Connect AC-Out-2
  9. Connect AC-In-1
  10. Re-fit front panel.

The guide specifically shows no switch between the battery and the Multiplus (it does show a fuse holder, but with a fuse already fitted). This means, as I understand it, that from step (3) onwards, it is possible that the unit will be live at 240v and step (7) is therefore potentially dangerous.

Is this right?

If this isn't right and the main battery should be switched, then could somebody advise what the correct sequence of powering the unit up is (i.e. battery and then AC-In, or vice-versa)?

Also, the quick installation guide makes no mention of pre-charging the Multiplus (and neither does any other document I can find). Is this necessary before the unit is powered?

Thanks in advance,

Nicholas.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerinstallationswitch
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
Having a battery switch is best practice even if it is not shown. It definitely will help avoid making sparks or the need for resistors.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

There will be no AC out when the unit is off.

There will be AC out when the unit is on and inverting.

There will be AC out when the unit is in Charger Only mode, AND there is AC input.

With battery connected and unit OFF, there is no AC output.

As with any inverter, the act of connecting the batteries pre-charges the capacitors, which can generate a large spark. To avoid the spark, briefly put something like a 10Ω/25W resistor between the wire and terminal for a few seconds to pre-charge. Remove resistor and make main connection.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.