question

stokie77 avatar image
stokie77 asked

VE Config failing to upload settings

Somehow over the past week, my system lost the last settings, defaulting to un-ticking the weak AC button, and a few other annoying changes, resulting in charge from my generator not being accepted.

I tried and tried to get VE Config to upload the corrected settings file, both through the Victron Connect browser, and the workaround way by closing VE Config and hoping it would upload the changes.

For the first day I was getting the error message that writing the changes failed.

Once or twice I managed to get past this error, but the only thing VE Config would do was to disappear, without making any changes.

After trying unsuccessfully to get my old Windows machine to recognise the MK2 USB dongle, (it used to work, probably obsolete now, due to me going for the latest firmware and updates.) I gave up on this method.

The 3rd method - I converted my mac to run windows, downloaded the Victron software, and managed to get through to my installation.

After re-downloading the VE Config file, making the changes, I closed VE Config and said OK to upload the changes. While it was writing the init file or something like that, the system reset, taking out the power and the internet.

The power didn't come on by itself as usual, so I had to manually reboot my Easy Solar system, and it is now showing low battery warning (lithium batteries at 11%) and VE Bus Error warning.

I've now got my router running off the generator direct, but I can't connect with Victron Connect online.

I've worked on computers (repair/building/programming) quite extensively for about 30 years, and the Victron software and user interface are the most frustrating I've encountered yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve my problem?

Many thanks.

EasySolar All-in-OneVEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @stokie77

It's not really clear where you stand with this. Presuming you have a still-working CCGX, the Multi is borked, and have no useful MK2/3. In general terms, maybe try these things - some you may have already done, so bear with me.

Download a standalone copy of VEConfigure and install it.

Find the settings file on your 'pc'. It should be .rvsc type. If there's multiple versions, choose maybe the latest. Even put a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Double click on the file/shortcut and VEConfig should open it. All good there? Make changes as needed and resave it (Win should do this, but just to make sure). Close VEConfig.

Reboot the CCGX and make sure it's connected to VRM.

On VRM, go Device List > Remote VEConfigure, then follow your nose. You could try downloading a fresh file, but if that won't work, upload the one you have prepared. You'll be asked for the file, so just click it on the popup.

If this works the Multi may well reboot, but by then it will have the prepared file aboard.

Now if this doesn't all work fine then there may be other issues. Come back with your experiences..

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stokie77 avatar image stokie77 commented ·
Thanks John, for your clear and easy-to-follow instructions.

Victron should hire you to write their user manuals instead of the tech people. : )

My system mysteriously sorted itself out after multiple attempts, incorrect low battery warnings, etc, to receive charge from the generator again. I had done several reboots, then left it alone for about half an hour, when it decided to behave again.

Update: I've just added in a Victron 250/60 MPPT controller and got it charging from my smart-drive hydro generator. It thinks the 205 V DC power coming in is a solar panel, and loads it up enough to almost stall the generator, with resulting low voltage and high current. I'm hoping there is a way to set the 250/60 to allow a minimum voltage, say 150 V, and low current in my cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ stokie77 commented ·
@stokie77

Haa, a job I wouldn't want. Victron are actually very particular about their documentation, and there's plenty of it. They don't mince words, so when you see something written, take note. Many people find reading manuals laborious anyway, so making them too long is counterproductive. And when you see something like "This procedure is designed for professionals", take special care.

But thanks for the feedback, great it's sorted.

I've tried to answer your mppt issue in your other thread. Have a great day..

0 Likes 0 ·
Luit Jan avatar image
Luit Jan answered ·

Hi,

Had the same problem. During update the systems hangs on "Assitants" and the settings were not updated. I tried it several times and then suddenly it worked. During this update the power was not disconnected and it was succesful. I checked the config by another download and yes the Quattro was updated.

So why it did not work and at the end it did is a big question....

Succes by solving this!

2 |3000