question

mario-99 avatar image
mario-99 asked

ESS system operation without AC input power

I am analyzing the following self-consumption ESS system:

vrm-portal3.png

In this case, I have disconnected the grid input power to the Multiplus inverter/charger.

In normal operation (with the addition of grid support) the batteries are charged in the bulk, absorption and float phases in the VE.Bus status section. However, when disconnecting the grid support, the inverter switches to "inverter" mode constantly. Even so, during the day it is observed that it follows the battery charging setpoints.

vrm-portal.png

I should add that this system also works with an MPPT solar charger in "external control" mode, so that the Multiplus controls its charging algorithm. I understand that in this system configuration, the charging is done by the solar charger and the Multiplus is only dedicated to inverting and not charging, since there is no grid support.

But as I understand it, in normal system action the charging of the batteries is still done by the MPPT solar charger, with the control of the Multiplus. I do not understand why in this case in the VE.Bus status the battery charging phases (bulk, absorption, float) do appear.

Is it normal for the inverter to switch to this operating mode? Does this mode not prevent the system from performing the battery charging algorithm?

Thank you very much.

multiplus ve.busoffgridVE.Bus
vrm-portal3.png (44.1 KiB)
vrm-portal.png (101.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Mario_99

And the mppt is in different stages of charging as well as load related production, so from that side you would not know what your battery is doing. How would you know otherwise since all it shows is external control? The bmv only really show SOC.

You still want your battery to pass through all the stages of charging; it is the heart of the system after all and is therefore the part you should be most concerned with. So all the stages of charging are still reported.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

What is VE.Bus?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Offgrid page