question

mike-a avatar image
mike-a asked

High DC Ripple Warning when using the fresh water pump

Hello, I just purchased a used boat with a upgraded Victron 1400 amp hour 12 volt superpack Lithium battery bank, GX Touch, and Multiplus 3000k inverter/charger. When I run the Headhunter Mach 5, 120 volt, 10 amp water pump I receive a High DC ripple warning. The batteries are showing float charge of 13.5 volts, and we are drawing less than 20 amps through the inverter. Not sure what to check or what damage this might be causing. Is it dangerous to use the water pump until I figure out the issue?

multiple invertersSuperPack
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Is the 20A on the DC or AC side?

Probably a good idea to get a qualified installer to check it out.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Indeed, you should not be having any DC ripple warnings with a relatively low load.

Please have you system checked out, it could be simple bad connection somewhere on the DC wiring or it could be improper wiring. Either way it's an indication that something is wrong somewhere.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Hi @Mike A

Excessive ripple will over time potentially shorten the life of the inverter (capacitors working a lot harder to smooth the ripple).

The cause is always on the DC side and given this is a new installation to you, a good opportunity to do some checks.

On all of our installations for 3000VA we usually use 3/0 or 95mm2.

Also worth going through the entire inverter DC circuit from battery through shunt fuses etc and check all terminations are sound and tight.

You may also find the section on ripple in this article worth a read

Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

Cheers

Wayne

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic