question

Pantelis Zirinis avatar image
Pantelis Zirinis asked

Single Phase Multiplus in Parallel. Can I setup with Cerbo GX

Hello Victron Community and Happy New Year,

I am thinking of updating my Victron setup and adding a second multiplus. At the moment I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 on my system and I am looking at getting an identical one to increase the power so I can run more ac devices. Among other components the system has a Cerbo GX with a touch screen.

So far I have been using VRM website to upload the settings to my single multiplus. Can I setup the second one using the same method or I need some kind of connection with my computer or ideally my phone?

I am saying ideally my phone as I have a MacBook and to make changes on the multiplus now I am running Microsoft Windows on UTM and USB support might be tricky.

cerbo gxVEConfigure 3multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You can also use VictronConnect for up to 3 Multis/Quatros instead of VEConfig, but you still need the MK3 to USB adapter.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pantelis Zirinis avatar image Pantelis Zirinis commented ·

That looks more of what I am looking for. Can you please give some more details?

I suppose Iconnect mk3 to usb to the ve bus. Then where does the usb cable go so VictronConnect on my phone can connect to it?

And can I do the initial setup with that method?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Pantelis Zirinis commented ·
Check the Victron documentation for complete details.

MK3 doesn't work with iPhone or iPads. You really need a Windows or Mac computer but I've heard it might work with Android devices

0 Likes 0 ·

I think I just realised what you are talking about:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/en/parallel,-three,-split-phase-systems.html

This is a new functionality I was not aware of. VictronConnect can actually connect to a multiplus now, through a MK3 to USB adapter.

I have a small problem though. I am using assistants on multiplus, since I have lithium batteries.

Can I setup the parallel function on VictronConnect and then use VRM to download the config file, access it on VEConfig, add the assistants and upload it back to the inverters through VRM?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Pantelis Zirinis commented ·
I don't know if you can use the two tools to do what you need. Best use VE tools on a Windows machine.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Pantelis Zirinis commented ·

Yes that should work.

First update and configure the units to parallel with VictronConnect and than you should be able to download the settings via the VRM portal.

To edit the settings you sill need the window software.

0 Likes 0 ·
I think it is way to risky to not have to MK3 to USB adaptor and the cost is minimal. So, when I order the new system I will get one and try to set it up on my Mac. It should be pretty straight forward, as I am running Windows on my mac.

My main issues is that I am using the assistants and VictronConnect does not support them at the moment.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

You'll need to use ve.configure on a PC to setup a parallel connection between the multi. See the manual here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you very much.

I was expecting an answer like that. Shame they have not managed to sort it our yet, so it can work from the Cerbo or a mobile phone directly.

I will wait to see if anyone has another idea and if not order the usb connection and get a pc from a friend.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight Pantelis Zirinis commented ·
Yea, I think Victron's priorities with the mobile software is to give users an easy way to configure with an app for basic functionality. My take is anything advanced such as parallel installs shouldn't be an easy thing to configure as you don't want a novice messing with it.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I am thinking of updating my Victron setup and adding a second multiplus. At the moment I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 on my system and I am looking at getting an identical one to increase the power so I can run more ac devices.

Now is the best time to consider switching to a 48V system.

2 comments
2 |3000

I decided to postpone the update for that reason, we will be considering it some time at the end of the year again. 12v and 6kw inverter is not ideal.

It is a shame i made the decision not to go for 24v when I builded the system a year ago.

Huge cables, huge fuses and a massive risk as the current that will be going through the system will be massive.

The main problem with updating to 24 or 48 volts, except from the financial one, is that on the boat all of the systems are 12v. I think the easiest solution will be to have a separate small 12v battery bank for those systems and use one of the Orion Battery to Battery charges to charge it from the main house bank. I am not sure what the loss will be there though.

I will try and see if a fellow boater is interested at buying my system and then I could get mine updated to 24v, as it is a shame to have all those components go to waste.

Is there any particular reason why you recommend 48v? On a boat it makes sense to go to 24v, as a lot of systems are available for 24v but nothing at 48v. This way I could start updating some of them slowly to 24v. For example, if windlass motor fails, we update to 24v. Fridge fails we update to 24v.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Pantelis Zirinis commented ·
I'd always recommend 48V for static systems, but vehicles and vessels are different. Unless it is a massive system, then there is probably not much value in a 48V system on a vessel for the reasons that you point out regarding the DC components.

However, 6kVA is probably about the limit that I'd want to go for a 24V system, 250A DC at the top end. If you think that 6kVA will be the most you'll ever need, then 24V is for you. If you have any doubt and you may consider more, then it's 48V and you'l have to set up another DC system for windlass, thrusters or whatever else.

0 Likes 0 ·