question

danny9380 avatar image
danny9380 asked

Trying to connect my Phoenix 12/500 inverter to CERBO Gx.

Hi,

I currently have a Phoenix 12/500 inverter with a ve.Direct port on it. I am trying to connect this to my Cerbo GX but cannot read any information from the inverter. I have a ve.direct cable plugged into my MPPT controller which operates fine and my inverter also plugged in the exact same way but cannot receive any information?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cerbo gxPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

It will not connect to a CERBO you connect it to a computer using a VE.direct to usb cable then the Victron Connect software - or to your phone via Bluetooth ( VE.direct to bluetooth Adapter needed) and again use the victron connect app

You can use the VE.Direct to USB cable plus a small adapter to connect this to a android phone and that will also work

The cerbo would need a VE-Bus connection to the Inverter to work fully - and the inverter unit you have does not have a VE.BUS connection

1639811302188.png

1639811302188.png (87.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danny9380 avatar image danny9380 commented ·

i have attached a photo of the device list which I can see all my devices remotely. Just a little confused with the ve.direct port. So the one on the inverter is only used for a

One of the reasons this was purchased was to see the inverter information through the Cerbo. I was told that the ve.direct connection on the inverter could be plugged into ve.direct port on the cerbo to view information about the inverter through VRM remotely.

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ danny9380 commented ·
Unfortunately this is not working as you thought. A VE.direct Phoenix is only shown in the device list, not on the overview.
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Danny9380,

this should work. Did you try another cable and is it the original Victron VE.Direct to USB adapter? If it's one of those diy adapters, in most cases it does not work and/or is making problems.

You could also try a different USB port on the Cerbo GX (don't use the one next to the HDMI port, that is exclusively reserved for the GX Touch 50 or 70.

Or try a VE.Direct to VE.Direct adapter and use one of the VE.Direct ports on the Cerbo GX.

bildschirmfoto-2021-12-18-um-083013.png

@Paul B,

the Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct series do not have VE.Bus but VE.Direct.

bildschirmfoto-2021-12-18-um-083034.png

2 comments
2 |3000

danny9380 avatar image danny9380 commented ·
Hi Stefanie

I have the ve.direct cable to ve.direct. So I have this cable going from the inverter ve connect port to the cerbo ve direct ports. The three top ones on right hand side of cerbo.

I’m very new to this product so you will need to bare with me.

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ danny9380 commented ·
Ok.Supposed that the VE.Direct to VE.Direct adapter cable is correctly connected - make sure the pins on either side are not bend -, do you see the Inverter in the Device List of the Cerbo GX? Please post a screenshot of the Device List.
0 Likes 0 ·
wenlar avatar image
wenlar answered ·

I have a 24/500 phoenix connected to the cerbo via ve-direct.

I can view the phoenix in the remote console. One thing I have noticed is that only loads around 100 watts or more will show under the va tab, small loads show as zero va which I think is a limitation of the hardware in the phoenix.

I can remotely turn the phoenix on, off or to eco mode via the remote console.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

hanspeter avatar image
hanspeter answered ·

I do experience the same issue with a Phoenix 12/800 connected with original Victron VE.Direct to USB adapter to the Cerbo (2nd or 3rd port). Not visible in device list after various updates. When testing before mounting it appeared.

Connection seems to be ok, when connected to my Surface laptop it detects a VE.direct connection (though not accessible, as driver is missing; Windows 11; drivers installed manually as described in another post on this site).

Help appreciated!

2 |3000