question

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi asked

Lynx Smart BMS 500 unknown Error after cut off

1638884276174.jpeg

The Lynx Smart BMS is working fine and since the firmware update to 1.03 it even keeps the settings :)

But there is one problem left:

When the battery is fully discharged and the lynx cuts off the loads (ATD low for BP100) the Lynx Smart BMS shows UNBEKANNTER FEHLER (unknown Error). Why does this happen ?

Everything seems working nice. Charging is allowed and the IP 43 Charger does charge the battery.

Even the notifications "low cell voltage" and "load cut off" appear.

Battery is at room temperature.

My question is : Why does the Lynx shows unknown error ?

BMS
1638884276174.jpeg (224.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Martin_FI,

the unknown error is caused by the alarm(s). It's a known issue and most probably will be fixed in the next firmware version.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

O.k. it seems that the developement of the Lynx Smart BMS 500 is still in progress :)

So theres one question left:

After discharging the battery until the Lynx Smart BMS sets ATD to low and cuts the loads charging is still possible. As i have written it shows "unknown error" but ATC is high. So far so good because it will be fixed as you have written.

When the system ist left discharged over night without charging it goes into standby mode (screenshot) and ATC and ATD are low and not allowed. Reactivating the Lynx is only possible by switching it off and on (Remote connections). Reactivating the Lynx with the app isn´t possible. Is this also a know issue or intention ?

1639032578187.jpeg

1639032578187.jpeg (234.1 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

@Martin_FI
There is always development, even with sophisticated devices and according to the motto "Wo gehobelt wird, fallen auch Späne", bugs can happen, especially in complex systems. So it's an ongoing process...new features every now and then etc. ;-)

About reactivating the Lynx Smart BMS via soft switch in VictronConnect:
This not possible (yet..who knows, maybe a new feature at some point) for a good reason: Normally the Lynx Smart BMS should reactivate itself automatically when a charge voltage (vbat +0.5V) is detected, i.e. by a Generator, Solar Charger or any other Charger or when the remote is switched manually. Fully automatic without the need of expert knowledge (there are arguments for and against it). The primarily task for the BMS is to protect the battery and it is best to design the system so that the battery will not be discharged until the protection kicks in.

The soft switch was designed to put the system only temporary into standby (for maintenance and care), not to reactivate the system after it has shutdown as the result of an alarm.

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-fi avatar image martin-fi Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I can confirm that the Lynx reactivates itsself when condition "vbat +0,5V" is fulfilled.

In our Setup a Lynx Smart BMS controls a Cyrix LI Charge and triggers it. If the ATC Signal is low and stays low (Standby mode) the system is in the lockup and has to be reactivated by the remote Switch (off and on). So the chargers are completely cut off from the system and can´t reactivate itsself.

But I also understand the pros of this solution. Switching of the Lynx Smart BMS into standby mode causes that it can´t provide the ATC high signal. Without switching into standby mode the consumption is too high for a empty battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ martin-fi commented ·

What is your charging source?

Do you have a GX device in your setup?

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-fi avatar image martin-fi Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Unfortunately not.

How could I solve this with a gx device ?

It´s a DC System with:

IP43 12/50

Orion TR Smart

Lynx Smart BMS 500

Cyrix Li Charge

BP100

1x Victron Lithium Smart Battery

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ martin-fi commented ·
Well, a GX device has the DVCC feature and once activated, the GX device becomes an active controller for specific charging sources. It takes care of your chargers (provided they support DVCC - currently only supported by Victron MPPTs, Lynx Smart BMS and Inverter/Charger) in terms of charging voltage, discharge current limit, charge voltage limit etc.

But it won't help much in your configuration.

But I think there are other ways to prevent the "lockup". One of them is to get rid of the Cyrix Li Charge and take care that the battery doesn't get discharged that much (proper setting of your IP43 if that's the main charging source for your Lithium). You can control the IP43 and BP100 via ATC and ATD directly. No need for the relais unless you have it for a very specific reason.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic