question

nebulight avatar image
nebulight asked

Victron BMS 3 wire connector pin layout/reverse engineer?

I understand this is an unsupported config, but I'm just trying to find a way to make it work. With covid going on, I've been slowly getting parts together for my next van build. I plan on using all Victron products but with a large DIY lifepo4 battery bank. Where I plan to install the electrical components is a small area, so I'd like compact setup so I'd like to see about trying a way to figure out how to use a lynx smart BMS with my own battery cells and external BMS. It would be great to have a 500amp contactor, shunt and precharge all in one unit that will mate with the Lynx distribution. I found this thread where they talk about the layout of three wires here BMS Ve.bus 3 wire connector pin layout - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

According to @Paul B here is the layout for the wires:

leave the black looped ( I think the black is for Temp but I have not used it)

if you open circuit the blue it triggers a LV disconnect

if you open circuit the brown it triggers a HV disconnect

I'm not sure about the temp wire. Is that just a loop as well since the BMS will disable charging for low temp or high temp or does it pass through other voltage information to read temps? And for the blue and brown wires, I assume it's more than a loop since there are provisions for pre-alarm on newer batteries. I don't have a victron battery or BMS in hand to test, but I've seen others like @safiery seemed to have reverse engineered this as they have used their own batteries with Victron coms cable. https://www.instagram.com/p/CTk1R9uhnEr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for any info on this!

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

I think your on your own here. I also think you might be jumping to conclusions with regards to Safiery. You cant actually see where the 2 pin cables go, and maybe they are just looped in to out fool the system. I can confirm the blue and brown cable uses however.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.