question

mazoner avatar image
mazoner asked

Existing Fronius System extended with Victron Multiplus II

Hello,
I've got a Fronius Symo 6.0-3-M with a Fronius Smartmeter up and running for more than a year now and I want to extend it with a Lead-Acid battery and the Victron Multiplus II 48/3000 GX.

The Fronius is connected to AC-in of the Multiplus II and there is no need to limit the feed-in power to the grid.
Is it possible, that the Fronius tells the Victron how much power is going to/from the grid to charge/discharge the battery accordingly so that (if SOC is in range) the powerflow to/from the house is ~zero ?

I've already asked Fronius and they answered it is possible, because they communicate via SolarAPI:
1636812126038.png
(Link to commets)

Nevertheless it was not possible for me to get the Multiplus II to work properly.
It always shows the Alarm: AC-Input: Not available

I connected both to the same Wifi and the Victron already found the Fronius Symo, but it only receives the produced power by the PV-Inverter and the AC-input is not seen for the Multiplus II.

Victron VRM-Portal:

1636812513908.png

Fronius Solarweb:

1636812782550.png

Is this even possible or do I need to install an extra energy-meter compatible with the Victron Multiplus II?
If it is possible, what configurations do I need to set?

Thank you in advance,
Max

Multiplus-IIFronius
1636812126038.png (358.2 KiB)
1636812513908.png (176.6 KiB)
1636812782550.png (103.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

You will need a Victron energy meter so the Victron knows what power to divert to charge your battery bank etc, and has better overall control.

I have the same setup and it works very well.

Regards
Rob D

NZ

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

Agree, you will need a Victron compatible meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
mazoner avatar image mazoner shaneyake commented ·

Ok thank you very much, I will buy a Victron compatible meter.

So the Fronius-Support's answer is incorrect?
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake mazoner commented ·
Fronius support is because the Victron system will control the Fronius inverter and show all the data from the Fronius inverter on VRM.

The victron system just can't use Fronius meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
mazoner avatar image mazoner shaneyake commented ·
Ok, thank you very much
0 Likes 0 ·
heleb avatar image
heleb answered ·

That's an absolute pity that a 2nd meter is needed.

However, I assume that "External Control" is possible:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

It's easy to read the Fronius smart-meter values from the Fronius inverter. (I'm currently doing this with an ESP32, which controls load switching , based on available excess energy). With the smart-meter info at hand, I should be able to control the Victron via ModBusTCP (Port 502?). It is understood that there will be no official support if I go this route.

Cheers

heleb

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Yes, if you install the large firmware on the GX, it is really easy to use NodeRed to use the external meter. All the code would run on the GX. However as you said no official support but not really hard to do. Just not for everyone.
0 Likes 0 ·
baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·
2 |3000