question

dave68 avatar image
dave68 asked

How to load node-red dashboard on startup, replacing venus GUI

Hi,

I've developed my own node-red dashboard on venus large image on RPI. Everything ist running fine now and thats why I would like to access my node-red dashboard directly from my RPI touchscreen display. How can I achieve this ? Is there a startup bash script somewhere on venus@Pi, where I can point to my local node red dashboard ? Or can I even load both UIs and switch with a gesture between them ?

This is how my node-red dashboard looks right now ;) :

1636398043366.png

Venus OSNode-REDdashboard display
1636398043366.png (327.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luke-foster avatar image luke-foster commented ·
Has their been any developments on this? Really interested in accomplishing this for sure
0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
dave68 avatar image
dave68 answered ·

I did some more research and it is clear now, that the venus gui is QT based, which means we do not have a web engine on venus which would be capable of hosting the node-red dashboard. I was misleaded because of VRMs remote option. But this is just a VNC channel.

Ok, so next step, we need a web engine, any ideas ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dave68 avatar image
dave68 answered ·

Ok,it seems to me that I am just talking to myself :(

I post the result of my further investigation here, it may be of some use for someone on someday :):

• Besides Venus QT main gui, there is also a local hosted HTML5 GUI, accessable by typing http://venus.local/app (mqtt broker must be enabled)
  • So we have here two user interfaces which are only reachable from a sencond device in the same network, not from a connected (headfull or headless) touch display.
  • Possible solutions imho:
  1. Use a second RasPi in kiosk mode
  2. Extend the QT GUI to include a browser tab, which loads a desired local URL on startup. (Position of tab and URL should be configurable )
  3. Install an additional Webbrowser which loads on startup, replacing QT main gui.

I would prefer option 2, this seems to me the most reliable solution and we continue to load the qt gui on startup.

2 |3000

ironman avatar image
ironman answered ·

I also would like to display a custom page on the Venus gui, originally I was thinking of customising the Venus HTML5 app, but your node red dashboard looks like a good alternative. It would be great to have the ability to show a browser tab on the Venus gui. I’ve only just started researching this so can’t be of much help in a solution.

2 |3000

dave68 avatar image
dave68 answered ·

Well, not really another answer to my own question, but I found another interesting alternative to use a second display for nodered on venus os. There are these perfect serial displays from nextion. They are featured enough to show a local gui, which has to be designed with a free tool called "The Nextion Editor". A compiled GUI can than be transfered to the display just by inserting a sd card. After deployment one can send well documented serial commands from NodeRed to transfer values or react to events from the built in touch display.

This way Victron could embed another display option for nodered and has even the option to sell a second display ;)

There are two smart german guys who already went in this direction. They call their project PeKaWay and its (somehow) OpenSource. Well, the display GUI not.

Here is an example of my first designed GUI for the nextion. (Please don´t ask, there is not an nodered flow right know to drive this GUI ;)

screenshot-2022-02-01-095225.png

I will keep this post updated ....

1 comment
2 |3000

pau1phi11ips avatar image pau1phi11ips commented ·
Looks interesting. I'm keen to see how this turns out.
0 Likes 0 ·
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

I want to say there is an option to install the Venus packages on Raspbian. That would give you a desktop you can boot into with HTML rendering like a magicmirror type thing.

I do like where this could go though.

2 |3000

bo0om avatar image
bo0om answered ·

does someone know how to write qt interfaces?

would be amazing if we could add another page as a kiosk webview, like in this example.

https://github.com/sergey-dryabzhinsky/qt-webkit-kiosk

2 |3000

johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

You can run venus headless (on a raspberryPi for instance), and you can install a web server or a x server for a gui on topp, if you want to.

2 |3000

Hector Molina Ulloa avatar image
Hector Molina Ulloa answered ·

Hi, I'm just landing on this topic, any update ?

2 |3000