question

jonmarinello avatar image
jonmarinello asked

VictroConnect v5.48 Crashing on Mac

Connect to a 500A shunt and the app crashes. Started in version 5.48. On all my Macs.

Can somebody on the development/QA team look into this ASAP?

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

14 Answers
jonmarinello answered ·

full-report.txt (28.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonmarinello answered ·

Is Victron working on this? Can someone from Victron please respond to this?

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

What we found is that VictronConnect has a problem when running on MacOS 12 and we are in the process of fixing this.

But there is a more severe problem with MacOS 12 and that is that the pairing with a pin code is broken in MacOS 12. This is not related to VictronConnect or Victron products, but pairing with a pincode seems broken for all apps and ble devices. When a product is already paired, it will be usable once VictronConnect is fixed with respect with the crash, but pairing to new products will not work until Apple fixes the pairing.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

jonmarinello answered ·

I just installed the latest version of VictronConnect v5.50 and now VictronConnect it NO LONGER shows the shunt in the list of available devices. So the problem is still not fixed in v5.50. Did you guys test the fix in v5.50? Please advise.

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
As written above it is not only a VictronConnect problem.

Here you can find the changelog:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

The fix for the crash was not yet included in v5.50. A beta version is expected in the upcoming weeks that will include a fix for the crash. The pairing problem will not be fixed as this is a problem in MacOS.

Regarding the shunt not being visible, this is a different and new problem. Does this still happen after restarting the mac?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
raymiller avatar image raymiller commented ·
I've had similar issues, MacOS 12 (Monterey) with other software as well failing to update but fixed with a reboot. MacOS users are not used to rebooting as in the past my computer would go for months without any need for major intervention, looks like Monterey has changed that. I updated my computer soon after Monterey was introduced so all my Bluetooth connections to Victron devices have issues... The good news at least the other Apple devices work with VictronConnect app.
0 Likes 0 ·
jonmarinello answered ·

Hi Thiemo,

Ok I got some time to test this more. After restarting my mac, the shunt not being visible went away. After that, I also did some testing with my Victron Blue Smart Charger and VictronConnect also crashes with that device.

BTW - I am a retired software engineer and I am happy to help with getting this issue resolved. Would it be possible to get me added to the Beta program so I can test the upcoming beta version before it is released to the public?

Thanks,

Jon

2 |3000

Hi,

We just released a new beta of VictronConnect (version 5.52beta1) that should solve the crash on MacOS 12 / Monterey. It can be downloaded from https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

6 comments
2 |3000

jonmarinello avatar image jonmarinello commented ·

I'll test it tomorrow morning. Thanks, Thiemo.

0 Likes 0 ·
The beta fixed the issue on Mac OS 12.0.1 on my M1 MacBook Air. Unfortunately, on Mac OS 12.0.1 on my 2015v MacBook Air, I was unable to complete the tests because it would not allow me to set my BlueTooth PIN.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ jonmarinello commented ·

Hi Jon,

Just to be sure, with `it would not allow me to set my BlueTooth PIN.`, do you mean that VictronConnect would not allow you to change the pin or that pairing failed after filling in the pincode in the MacOs pincode popup?

The second one (pairing fails after filling in the pincode in the MacOs popup) is not an issue of VictronConnect, but an issue of MacOs 12. This has never worked under MacOs 12 and upto this day does not work. See also https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/106551/is-victronconnect-stable-on-macos-1201.html

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
jonmarinello avatar image jonmarinello Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi Thiemo,

Pairing failed after filling in the pin code in the MacOs pin code popup. Can you reply with a link from apple explaining that the problem is with MacOs 12?

Thanks,

jon

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ jonmarinello commented ·

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately I can't. The problem has been discussed with technical support of Apple and they forwarded the report to the MacOs bluetooth team, but we have not seen any "official" acknowledgement that the problem exists.

But we know that our app is not the only one having this problem. When using LightBlue to connect to a Victron product and then reading a secure attribute (which forces pairing), it also fails to properly pair using the pincode.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
Can you replay with a link to the last working version?
0 Likes 0 ·
herrerao avatar image
herrerao answered ·

Tried to download and open 5.52beta but get message: “VictronConnect” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. Help!

1 comment
2 |3000

There's a workaround for that. After you attempt to install the app, visit Settings->Security & Privacy->General. At the bottom right of the window, you will see the option to go ahead and install the VictronConnect app.

0 Likes 0 ·
Christian Lindermann avatar image
Christian Lindermann answered ·

Hi and happy new year!

Same Problem with the Beta2 on my MacOS Monterey M1 :-/

On first startup, the App asks for BT PIN, then it freezes. Now every time the app crashes direct connecting to any device.

Any fix for this?

1 comment
2 |3000

pciccone avatar image pciccone commented ·

Exactly the same here, it's not just you. Beta2 still doesn't work on a Mac M1/M1X. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
jonmarinello answered ·

When is Victron going to deploy a fix for this EASILY REPRODUCIBLE CRASH? I'm getting pretty frustrated waiting so long for this to be addressed. I'm sure many others are as well!

2 |3000

Hi

A new VictronConnect (version 5.52) has been released this morning and should be available in the app store. This should fix the crash that occurred when trying to connect.

This does NOT fix the problem that the pairing of devices does not work as this is a MacOs 12 issue that cannot be solved in VictronConnect.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

No solution for me, as I deleted all paired devices to fix this crash problem earlier :(

Also resetting the Bluetooth stack or deleting the bt .plist file doesn’t helped.

Did you report this to apple or are you working with apple to fix this?

This is really frustrating!!

2 |3000

raymiller avatar image
raymiller answered ·

Just tried MacOS Monteray 12.2, latest as of 26th January 22 and Victron connect on MacOS on M1 processor still fails at a Bluetooth connection at 80%.

Looks like Apple still has some work to do.

4 comments
2 |3000

frangar avatar image frangar commented ·
Yes Ive found exactly the same running on an Intel processor,.....Its incredibly irritating!!
0 Likes 0 ·
nkarlsson avatar image nkarlsson frangar commented ·

Do i understand correct? You have the same issue on a Intel Mac?

0 Likes 0 ·
nkarlsson avatar image nkarlsson commented ·
Same here. M1 MacBook Pro 2021
0 Likes 0 ·
frangar avatar image frangar nkarlsson commented ·

Its all working on 12.3.1 if you upgrade

0 Likes 0 ·
smudge avatar image
smudge answered ·

Have there been any updates from Apple on the BT connection?

2 |3000

Okay, Problem finally solved with MacOS 12.3 released yesterday!

2 |3000

Related Resources