question

Minas Papageorgiou avatar image
Minas Papageorgiou asked

Commisioning charge of SOPzS with Multiplus

Hi all.

I am about to do the first charge on the battery bank and confused between the multiplus documentation and the batteries (SOPzS 2v 605Ah in 24V).

I understand I should use forced absorption mode. But the Multi manual, the absorption time can be up to 8h

But from the battery manual , for commissioning, I understand I need to set min 24h absorption time.

Have I gotten it all wrong?

Thanks!

Mike

1635278309936.png

1635278151097.png

battery chargingVEConfigure 3
1635278151097.png (354.3 KiB)
1635278309936.png (225.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hello Mike, usually the batteries are already commissioned by the provider / reseller. It is almost a plugg and play step. Yours are OPzS, and should usually have a 1.24 acid density when charged. Chose the right type of battery in your Multiplus, and you should be fine with that.

In the meantime, buy a refractometer to check the acid density, so you will be sure that your batteries are fine, correctly loade, or need an improvement (equalization when "fully" loaded, but density too low, menaing they are sulfated).

Michel

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Minas Papageorgiou avatar image Minas Papageorgiou commented ·
Thanks Michel. Actually mine were shipped directly from the factory the resellers only made the order..

Is there any Multi setting on the gassing charge current limitation? It mentions 0.3XI10 = 18amps

It seems I have to wait for the USB MK3 cable since while the absorption voltage matches at 30v, the floating should be 28.8v while the Multi set by dip switches is 27.6v

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg Minas Papageorgiou commented ·

Hi Mike, could you please provide the details of the batteries ? Brand, Model, etc ? So I could read the manual and give you more details. Consider that the Voltage / Amps going out of the Multiplus / MPPT are different than those arriving at the battery bank, due to losses. Mine are recommended charging at 29,4VDC, but I provide them 30VDC (bulk), as they usually have no problem with a little bit more energy. I'll recommend you having a look at : https://batteryuniversity.com/

I'll come back to you with my settings ASAP. Currently I can't connect remotely to my MPPT and get the settings.

Michel.

0 Likes 0 ·
Minas Papageorgiou avatar image Minas Papageorgiou michelg commented ·

Thanks again. Here is the link to the batteries: https://energypower.gr/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/res_sopzs_operating-instructions.pdf

They are 605h

I have 2 Multis 2000/24 + 1 BlueSolar 150/70, but only setting up the one multi so far to keep the bank in floating until I get time to set the whole thing.

Is the multi's adaptive charge algo considered IUI or IU?

Thanks co-named Michel.. (i still have way though to reach your 100% off-grid..)

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Mike, I finally was able to check my mppt configuration : Absorption is set to 30.2VDC, and with losses, temp compensation brings around 29,8VDC to my OPzS battery bank (24V, 1000Ah C10). Float is 27.6VDC.

For the commissionning go with 20A, because of the losses, and consider doing it during several days if you are 100% off-grid : check the time during the PVs are able to provide 20A continously, then disconnected your inverter/charger, and do the same for the period needed according to the instructions you have (typically 8h x minimum 3 days). If you are still connected on grid, perform it during the mentionned period, probably by resetting the absorption time on the multiplus.

I hope it helps you a little bit with your new setup.

Michel

6 comments
2 |3000

Minas Papageorgiou avatar image Minas Papageorgiou commented ·
I am still on grid, haven't connected anything but the one multi to charge the bank before issues come up.

I was wondering, if I simply use the default Adaptive charging+BatterySafe mode with the dip switch mode of 30.0v abs, 27.6 float and given the multi is 50A * 75% default = 37.5A < 10% of bank Ah, for 8h, it should be ok for the commissioning no?

0 Likes 0 ·
Yep ! That should work. Consider buying the refractometer, it is worth the 20€ it usually costs, and you will have to calibrate it before using (basically, a drop of distilled water, to put the level at 0, every time there is a 10C difference in external temperature). This way you will know how feel the batteries.

Perform a check at least 1x per month, it will save you ruining the 1st set of batteries ... (It happened to me... not charging them at the 30VDC, but less !)

Have fun ! Michel

0 Likes 0 ·

I am sad today..I checked all the cells individually, each had exactly 2.05v. When patched all together, I measured exactly 24.6, so I plugged the multi set to 30v absorption as per my SOPzS specs and switched to charger. The charger led is lit permanently, but the charger is not drawing current from AC, I only see 15w drawn from my plug..measuring the poles on the bank I see 28.9v when connected. 7h later still the meter did not show any more current drawn. switched off charger and measured, still 24.6v... While the multi does make a "charging" sound when in charge, the batteries are not heated at all either...any ideas? After first attempt I disconnected the temperature sensor.

Thanks..

0 Likes 0 ·
Probably it is related to the multiplus settings, but I have no clue. I hope someone else will help you with the issue.

I know that when my batteries had a 80% discharge (normal use to make them work), it took me 3 - 4 days to recharge them and at the beginning it was almost no power absorbed. IT is normal, as when discharged, the electrolyte is almost water if I remember right, and it needs time to dissolve it from the plates into it, and getting a better absorption.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks Michel..I should be receiving the MK3 cable on Tuesday so will have a better view. Will get the hydrometer also.After one more day , still the same.."charging" 30v but seems not drawing current and at the end still the bank has 24.6.

Silly question: If the cable crimps where not properly crimped , since I get the voltage, wouldnt they overheat?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Minas, get a refractometer, and hydrometer is useless ... I did destroy a set of batteries because of using it and not getting the precise measurements.

I have had also my cables heating (it is normal, but again, it should not be something crazy), because they were not perfectly adapted (use welding power cables, they are great for carrying huge amounts of Amps). Also if the connectors are not well crimped, you can have heat losses at the connections.

victron-cabling.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
victron-cabling.jpg (24.7 KiB)
Minas Papageorgiou avatar image
Minas Papageorgiou answered ·

BTW, are you using any resistor to precharge the capacitors as not to spark upon cable connection?

1 comment
2 |3000

michelg avatar image michelg commented ·
Nope...
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic