question

jsheehan avatar image
jsheehan asked

Is the Pylontech Cables too small to connect to my Multplus II?

Here is my wiring diagram. Could I please have some advise in what size cables I need for my system and what size DC Fuse Disconnector and what size HRC Fuses do I need?
Any help is much appreciated

screen-shot-2021-10-14-at-74703-pm.png

Pylontechwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Jsheehan

How far are the batteries from the invterter in terms of battery length?

The manual for the inverter will tell you what cable sizes for the install and the fuse size.

You do need the pylontec cable for the battery terminal at least to the lynx (they are smaller than others as they are rated differently because they have different insulation). Size for your inverter again after that.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jsheehan avatar image jsheehan commented ·
I've heard that you should have the same size cables from the battery to the Inverter, is that true? Or can I have the Pylontech Cable to the Lynx, then 70mm2 cable from the lynx to the inverter. As the inverter recommends you to use 70mm2 cable.
0 Likes 0 ·
rainer avatar image
rainer answered ·

When looking at the Pylontech manual for US3000, they are specified for a peak charge/discharge current of 100 A for 15 seconds. In your drawing, there are two Pylontech batteries in parallel, therefore the fuse should be 200 A.

2 |3000

rainer avatar image
rainer answered ·

Guy Stewart has shown that the Pylontech cables are good for 178 A, cf. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/41642/pylontech-battery-cable-spec.html

The maximum charge/discharge current for Pylontech US3000 is 74 A per battery module, i.e. 148 A for the two battery modules. Therefore the Pylontech cables are ok for two battery modules. I think it does not matter when the peak current exceeds for a few seconds the nominal current for which the cables are dimensioned.

2 |3000

rainer avatar image
rainer answered ·

In the drawing, there is a box shown between Pylontech batteries and Lynx distributor, probably for battery disconnection. With this box, the Pylontech cables would also end at that box and you would need additional cables to connect the box with the Lynx distributor. I think it would be better to connect the Pylontech cables directly with a 200 A Mega fuse in the Lynx distributor.

I believe that separate switch for disconnecting the batteries is not needed because the Pylontech batteries themselves can be switched off.

1 comment
2 |3000

jsheehan avatar image jsheehan commented ·

Would this be ok?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Pylontech battery compatibility guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic