question

DMS1 avatar image

Am I correct that I cant use the Victron Connect Windows app with my Victron Bluetooth enabled devices?

Am I correct that I cant use the Victron Connect Windows app with my Victron Bluetooth enabled devices? Why is that? My laptop can pair with my BMS and charge controllers but they dont show up in the Windows app.

VictronConnect
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, Guy asked me to post an update on this:

VictronConnect is using a software framework, Qt, which first didnt support Bluetooth Low Energy at all on windows, and now does so- but still with some (for us) critical missing pieces.

so to answer a few of the comments in this thread:

- no we havent quit working on it. we’re trying and developing using the Qt library updates, getting close and closer. And waiting for them to bring it far enough so we can finish it.

- timeline: no sorry, no time line. A gut feeling guess would be late this year in beta - but that is just that: a gut feeling guess.

- yes your windows laptop will be able to pair them, and still unfortunately we can’t use them. At least not straightforward enough for is to have done it yet: as a cynic with somw sw dev. knowledge might say: qt framework doesnt perse need to hold you back. Why not do it yourself or fix the qt framework yourslelf? Answer is priorities and effort needed by top developer to pull that off; and not just make it work, but make it work super reliably etc.

- HC05 module; see above.

concluding: At some point we’ll for sure have this working on Windows, but unfortunately not yet.

UPDATE 2020-07-24: contrary to above, currently I no longer expect this to be ready this year. Not even in beta.

3 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2020-07-28
Windows 10 Home 32bit
SmartSolar 75/15
Windows BT shows devices
VictronConnect NOPE
---------------
Fixing is scheduled for????

Its not scheduled. My above post explains the technical background for why it doesnt work yet. I dont like it either, but it is what it is. Sorry.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ ·

Ps - Earlier I hoped for/expected a solution this year, but still nothing; so I added an update saying so in my above msg.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello DMS1,

I can confirm, VictronConnect does not support bluetooth on Windows.

We would love it too. We have no interest in selling USB cables and would much rather everything work smoothly through bluetooth across all platforms.

It will come - but can’t promise when

(EDITED BY MV - I removed the Qt part)

3 comments Share

OK, Thanks for the explanation.

Seriously?? This is super lame.

It has been almost a year. Any updates on this?

bigbillsd avatar image
bigbillsd answered ·

For some unknown reason you need to buy their USB to VE Direct Cable to view on windows. I don't understand that either. But thats how it is today. -Bill

1 comment Share

Weird. I hope they change that, seems they are just trying sell USB cables as my laptop sees all three Victron BT devices and pairs with them, but the VictronConnect software does not detect them.

dave@duncans.org avatar image
dave@duncans.org answered ·

As former software engineer, I'm guessing that you guys have quit working to solve this problem. Otherwise, it would not be taking this long. Am I wrong?

KPalmerGP avatar image
KPalmerGP answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I would very much like an update on this subject. Being able to connect one or more BMV712 to a Windows laptop via Bluetooth would add huge value for us. USB or serial is really undesirable.

2 comments Share

We found we could connect the VE.Direct directly to an HC-05 Bluetooth to UART module. The module needed an AT command to set the baud rate to that of the BMV-700 and to check the correct mode was set. On windows the Bluetooth connection is set to appear as a standard COM port.

Cool trick! I can see how that can work indeed.

Scotsblood avatar image
Scotsblood answered ·

Six months on from the original response is there any idea of timescale for this functionality?

gurubaran balaji avatar image
gurubaran balaji answered ·

Poor experience with Bluetooth connection. So you can try to use Android emulators for windows system for better performance:

https://gbhackers.com/top-10-best-android-emulators-for-windows/

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You might be able to use a Android emulation program on the windows system and thus run the victron connect inside that emulation.

could be worth a try, but will be a did of mucking around

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-emulators-for-pc-655308/

Who uses emulators?

There are three main uses for emulators. The first is the most common and it’s for gaming. Gamers can use emulators on their computers to make some games easier to play. They don’t have to rely on the battery life of their devices and the existence of macros and other tricks help the process. In most cases, these little tricks aren’t illegal (in most games) so nobody really has a problem with it. The best Android emulators for gaming include Bluestacks, MeMu, KoPlayer, and Nox.

The second most common use case is development. Android app and game developers like to test apps and games on as many devices a possible before launch. Usually the Android Studio emulator is fine for this kind of work. However, Xamarin and Genymotion are excellent for this type of use as well.