question

solarboat avatar image
solarboat asked

Can I use a "Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50" instead of "Digital Multi Control 200 + BMV-700"

Hi, I am installing a new system with the core components being a Multiplus 12/3000 inverter/charger, 2 x LiFePO4 Smart Batteries (12V/200Ah) & a VE.Bus BMS. I have been recommended to include a "Digital Multi Control 200 + BMV-700", but I'm wondering if it would be better to replace those 2 items with a "Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50". I would like the ability to monitor/control things remotely, and I have read (in other posts here) that you cannot change any settings remotely (nor via the touch panel), that can be set via the physical switches on the DMC (which takes priority).

So my question is really, can you do everything via the Cerbo GX & Touch 50, thus doing away with the need for the DMC & BMV altogether?

cerbo gxBMV Battery Monitorgx deviceDigital Multi Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Normally yes, but the VE.Bus BMS prevents inverter mode and input current limit changes from Cerbo.

Other BMS options are available that do not impose this limit. The new Lynx BMS is expensive but includes the battery monitor functionality of the BMV-700.

With Cerbo, you really don't need the display of the BMV-700 so the other option there is the SmartShunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jordanb avatar image
jordanb answered ·

Can I follow up on this question since I am also interested in the CerboGX/GX50Touch combination - the way I understand it you still need a shunt somewhere in the system which feeds data to the CerboGX, right?

Sounds like the answer above is it could be either the Smart Shunt, or the BMV-700 (which includes a shunt). Is this right?

Assuming this is right, it seems like there is an advantage to the BMV-700 since you get a dedicated built-in meter (assuming you have the space to mount it) - the cost is the same as for the SmartShunt (within $20).

Both the BMV-700 and the SmartShunt connect to the CerboGX with a VE.Direct cable - so it seems to me like they are equivalent and you don't lose anything in terms of functionality if you go with the BMV-700 vs the SmartShunt.

Am I correct? I am just starting to get a handle on this for a planned Lithium upgrade. Sorry to piggyback on another question.

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

You are almost correct.

The BMV-700 don't have Bluetooth and you have to run the VE.direct cable from the BMV monitor to the Cerbo, not from the shunt.

So I you want to have Bluetooth and the dedicated BMV monitor you have to buy a BMV-712.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image David commented ·
The BMV-700 and the Smartshunt have two key differences to each other apart from what is mentioned (display and bluetooth) ...
  • The BMV-700 has a programmable Relay (all BMVs do in fact) but cannot monitor a second input.
  • The Smartshunt can monitor a second voltage source but has no relay.

So even if presence or otherwise of a display OR of bluetooth is unimportant, the choice of BMV-700 vs SmartShunt can still be important.

For myself, even though the BMV-700 is a little more expensive than the Smartshunt and I don't use the displays, I still elected to fit BMVs into my installation as I use the programmable relays (one on the BMV-712 to control my fridge power and the relays on the two BMV-700s to control a relay on my Hybrid Battery System).

I would actually recommend the BMV-712 over either the SmartShunt OR the BMV-700 in fact, not because of Bluetooth or Display, but because it can monitor a second voltage (or temp) AND has a superior relay over the '700 (or '702)

0 Likes 0 ·
solarboat avatar image
solarboat answered ·

@Jordanb , your reading of this is correct (as far as I understand). Although you will still have the limitation mentioned in the answer from @Kevin Windrem.

After much deliberation, I ended up going for the new Lynx BMS (over the VE Bus BMS), with the Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50. It's definitely more expensive, but the limitations imposed by mixing old and new technologies scared me off. I'm still waiting for it to be installed, so can't comment on the result.

2 comments
2 |3000

flutteryes avatar image flutteryes commented ·

@Kevin Windrem The Multi Control Panel that I use has stopped working. If I were to replace that with the Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50, would there be a simple way for me to control the Multiplus, similar to the switch that is located on the Multi Control Panel that reads "Inverter/OFF/Charge Only"?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem flutteryes commented ·
As I said above it depends on the BMS used in your system. The VE.Bus BMS prevents inverter mode control from the GX device. This limitation does not exist for other BMS options including the new VE.Bus BMS 2 if I understand correctly. I can't speak for non-Victron BMS options.
0 Likes 0 ·
bjornj avatar image
bjornj answered ·

Hi, here is a follow up question at the same topic. My Multi Control Panel is broken. If I replace that with Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50, is there an easy way to control the Multiplus, like with the switch on the Multi Control Panel: "Inverter/OFF/Charge Only" ? I don´t want to go deep in the meny system, just push the Multiplus on the screen or something like that?

3 comments
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·

It is fairly easy to do so from the Touch 50, but does involve drilling down 2-3 levels. Once you are used to it, it is maybe a 5 second process as opposed to just hitting a button.

0 Likes 0 ·
solarboat avatar image solarboat commented ·
Yes you can adjust the inverter mode with a single tap from the main screen. No need to go into any menus at all. The shore power limit is also very easy to adjust. I actually find it easier than the manual dial which I find difficult to fine tune.

In my case the electrician installed a multi control panel (even though I asked him not to), so these settings are disabled on the touch screen unless I pull the cable out of the back of the manual control.

0 Likes 0 ·
solarboat avatar image solarboat solarboat commented ·

This image shows the 2 controls on the touch screen (the area in grey). The current limit expands to allow you to adjust the number, then shrinks down when you click accept or cancel.
screenshot-20220523-091641-nlvictronenergy-edit-13.jpg

Also, without the multi control panel you can make these changes from the remote control panel on the Victron portal. So the image above was actually taken from my phone, which allows me to make these changes when I'm off the boat. The remote control panel simply mirrors the GX touch 50, so the behaviour is identical.

0 Likes 0 ·