question

idunne avatar image
idunne asked

asking again

set up .....victron phoenix 12v 1200 inverter

3 feet 25mm2 cables positive inline circuite breaker 150a to battery all DC

2 x 110 ah batterys led acid pararell

battery level full

PROBLEM IS when i connect a 12v 1000w kettle to boil for a tea it trips the circute braker after about 5 sec

if i take the circuite breaker out of the cable it all works boiling the water

the iverter i no has a 200a fuse inside i was told.. am just trying to add a bit more safe by adding the breaker outside ...so why is it tripping

i have tried it it with a microwave 800w with the inline breaker and that works

any help please

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
ceriw avatar image
ceriw answered ·

could you clarify the specification of your kettle please? you've listed it as "12v 1000w". Is this correct?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

idunne avatar image
idunne answered ·

sorry its 240v 1000w

2 |3000

ceriw avatar image
ceriw answered ·

On the face of it, that should work OK. The fact that the microwave works OK shows the system is fundamentally ok at delivering that level of power.

Do you have a separate power meter that you could use to measure the kettle power and prove that it is indeed 1kw? For your breaker to trip so quickly suggests you are pulling 2kw or so.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What kind of circuit breaker is it? Is it a good quality one.
We get a lot of questions surrounding why circuit breaker trips unexpectedly and it's usually because of a poor quality one.

3 comments
2 |3000

idunne avatar image idunne commented ·

yes its one of those china ones off ebay like this one.....i have change it to an inline fuse 100a its working but not sure about the fuse ratings if its right 20200725_092238.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ idunne commented ·
Indeed, those circuit breakers are complete rubbish. You were lucky that you got one that does actually go open circuit, even if it is much lower current. Some of them don't open circuit at all when there is a real fault, which causes a real fire.

A 100A fuse in on the limit for that MultiPlus at full power. 1000W kettle using 85A may be OK for the short time a kettle works. Maybe better with 125A fuse or to prevent nuisance activation, 175A fuse if your cabling is the correct size for that.

0 Likes 0 ·
idunne avatar image idunne wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
thanks very much for all the help....
0 Likes 0 ·