question

phe avatar image
phe asked

Catamaran without generator possible? ORION-TR a solution?

Hello,

on my catamaran I would like to get rid of the generator.

I will intall 2000W of solar, 1200 AH LiFePo4 batteries and two MultiPlus 3000 in parallel. But this is not sufficient for two reasons:

1) redundancy

2) weather impact (no sun)

As a backup I would like to be able to charge my batteries FAST!! with the two 57 HP Yanmar diesel engines. How do I do that?

Thank you + kind regards,

Peter

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium Batteryorion-tr smartsolaralternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

Why 2x 3000 MP in parallel ans not a Single 5000 ?

Voltage of the Yanmar Generators ...

Voltage and Current of the Solar Panels ... Size of the MPPT Conroller

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

I am assuming the Yanmar Diesel Engines have 12V alternators.

If your battery bank is 12V or 24V then you could just use 2x Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger. 30A version for 12V and 17A for 24V. This would give you redundancy. This would charge your batteries from 0% to full in 40 hours. You could install 4 of them to charge at double the speed. 2 per engine.

But that is probably wayyy too slow. So you will want to get a Victron Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter 100A if your alternator can handle it. 2x 100A would charge your bank in 6hours.

If you bank is 48V, you will probably just want to get a 12V inverter and connected that to the motors battery and use the MultiPlus 3000 to charge the main bank from that AC supply.

2 |3000

phe avatar image
phe answered ·

Dear @shaneyake,

Thank you !!

Indeed I will hava a 12V system.

So if I understand you correctly it all comes down to the question of finding an alternator for the yanmar engines that can handle the load that the Buck-Boost DC-DC device would deliver?

Would you know any products that can handle such a challenge? Maybe the BALMAR devices?

Kind regards, Peter

2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Fit a second alternator kit to the yanmar. You could look at integrel which is quite a good system.

Otherwise balmar make good stuff. The balmar alternator with external regulator will be able to hook up directly to your batteries no need for the buck boost.

If you go for an extra alternator on both engines then a wake speed regulator with a balmar alt would be better as the regs can talk to each other via canbus.

On 5000 multi will be better than 2 3000s two wont give you redundancy as they need reprogramming to operate individually again. A single is far easier to install and will take up less room

2 comments
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

I actually like this approach a lot better than what I suggested.

You can reprogram the 3000 while at sea, so does have some redundancy but I too prefer to use a Multiplus-ii 5000 vs 2x 3000, less standby power and less hassle for the install.

0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·
To add to this, you still need to include a method to stop the charging via the BMS etc but that will depend on the batteries you go for.
0 Likes 0 ·
phe avatar image
phe answered ·

Dear jwfrary,

thank you very much! I will follow your route of advice!
One curious question though: everywhere I look one the internet people install 2x3000 MultiPlus instead of just 1x5000 MultiPlus on their boats ... and I was always wondering why ... Does anybody have a clue?

2 comments
2 |3000

hoeken avatar image hoeken commented ·
Probably for redundancy
0 Likes 0 ·
jwfrary avatar image jwfrary hoeken commented ·
It's only good for redundancy if you have the skills to reprogram them!

I do have two 3000's paralleled but the only reason is that we needed more power than we originally anticipated so expanded the system. Out of preference it would be a single 5000.

0 Likes 0 ·