Idea

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan suggested

Feature request / new product - External GX display

What are the chances of Victron developing a standalone pluggable GX display? I’m thinking the new EasySolar, or any installation with a Venus GX, Octo GX or Maxi GX that doesn’t have a display. It’s just so much easier for the end user to navigate. @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Venus GX - VGXgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) commented

Hi @Murraynated, those chances are rather high :-).

Check back end of year

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

Let me beta it. It’s a rather exciting prospect

0 Likes 0 ·
Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc commented

Any update? would like to be able to display info on stand alone Maxi GX application for marine

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) commented

Hi @Murray van Graan and @Jmarc@aeandmengineering.com,

There is an update. What I had in mind when writing that answer last year August, is the now available GX Touch. Currently our only product compatible with it is the Cerbo GX. (which replaces the Venus GX, CCGX, and so forth).

And at some point (but that will take a while - a year at least I'm afraid), I hoping we have an updated EasySolar-II GX, and MultiPlus-II GX with similar port (HDMI) so that the GX Touch can plug in.

Note that there are more solutions:

1. for example you can get a low cost android tablet, make it show a browser and open up the local ip address of the GX Device to get into Remote Console. That will work for all GX Devices.
  2. Another solution is the HTML5 solution, see CCGX manual, section https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#marine_mfd_integration_by_app. Two notes:
    • that section in the manual speaks mainly of integrating on Marine MFDs, But what it is is a simple HTML5 web page ,that also runs in any other browser.
    • currently its engineered towards Marine use, and if you want, and have (or can hire) web development skills, you can modify that to what suits you: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-html5-app.

And there is more (be aware, I'm sliding down the development scale more and more now ;o) ):

1. Grafana, super cool dashboarding: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana . Requires separate hardware to run the database & grafana instance. Can be raspberrypi, or can be heavier hardware - depends on your application. A nice example of such dashboards are here:
  2. Node-red (which allows one to design dashboards, as well as a lot of control functions). See Google for what node-red is, and see here for Venus OS and node-red. Note that this is under active development - not completely finished. But images that seem to work for most are available. Biggest issue with them at the moment is that you cannot easily install a newer version of Venus OS: you'll need to await us to bring out such special extra text version again, and install that by hand using a USB stick or SD card.
  3. Signalk. See Google, and this issue. Same notes as for node-red: active development, not finished. But testable / usable with some limitations.

2 |3000

markus-001 avatar image
markus-001 commented

I use node red to customize my own user interface which you can have open on multiple devices simultaneously. Only problem I currently have is that relay 1 has to be controlled through the Venus OS and relay 2 is programmed through Node red. Relay 1 is restricted in the current version of Node red. Other than that you can just about do anything you really need to with Node red I even change max inverter power at given times during the day and night. At 4:00am max inverter power reduces to 1 kw when the hot water boiler switches on then at 6am 3kw and at 9:00am 8kw to convert all available Pv. I even pole open weather and return tomorrow’s weather forecast to the displays. I haven’t finished manipulating the min SOC going into the evening based on tomorrows weather. Weather, I just learnt is another thing on its own not as simple as I thought.

Another thing you can do is continuously adjust the grid set point to limit the battery maximum power discharge depending on AC load and PV input. I don’t know if Victron recommends continuously adjusting the grid set point but it works when you run an entire house. I have safety in place for a grid failure that knocks out AC 2 when the loads are to high. From what I’ve read Node red on the Venus means you can connect to node red WiFi plugs and lights on the same LAN as well as send tweets to your twitter account or email based on things happening at home as well as data coming from the Victron suit of products. I believe node red can be linked to communicate with Alexa and home assistant, haven’t got that far yet. In my personal opinion, Node red for Victron is a game changer it brings energy, home automation and IoT together very easily.

2 |3000

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.