question

flajzi avatar image
flajzi asked

EVCS update from 1.27 to 1.28 fails in VRM and wifi is broken

Hello,

today I tried update using VRM EVCS firmware as usuall to version 1.28 (from 1.27). VRM update always failed with error msg "The site's two-way communication service stopped responding. Please verify the internet connection and/or try again. Error: 1302:"

I was able to manually update firmware 1.28 using web interface of EVCS, but after upgrade and resetting unit, EVCS lost connection to my WiFi network (UniFi WiFi network using WPA2). EVCS could see all WiFi networks broadcasted by UniFi AP, but couldn't connect to any of them.

Downgrade to 1.27 resolved the connection issue. I have noticed in changelog improvement "Improvements in WiFi module configuration and handling logic". Have you really heavily tested this improvement?

firmware updatewifievcs
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

The first part is clear, and we know about it.

The second part, this is the first issue like this reported, and yes, it was tested.

Can you provide some details regarding the SSID/password format and length?
Can you try to create a hotspot with your phone and connect the EVCS to it?

I need more data for trying to reproduce what you are describing above.

0 Likes 0 ·
d4h-ottmar avatar image d4h-ottmar commented ·
can confirm, see answer below
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
kennybuntinx avatar image
kennybuntinx answered ·

Same problem on my side. This update is not well tested @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff). And yes I verified my SSID is not one (1) character. It has 26 characters.

After a few reboots and trying via the web to update my firmware - I have succeeded.

This is not what I would expect from Victron - never had these issues .

Please go back to the drawing board and fix it with 1.29 update

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, please give more details because I don't understand.

Update from VRM has some issues, and it's not EVCS relater, it is VRM related and will be fixed. Are you also unable to connect the EVCS to your wifi? or what?

0 Likes 0 ·
d4h-ottmar avatar image
d4h-ottmar answered ·

Can confirm exactly the same reported problems as flajzi. Looks like it is a issue EVCS connecting to unifi/ubiquity infrastructure. No problems detected up to firmware Version 1.27. So i decided to revert to V 1.27 and be patient for an other upgrade, hoping it will be fixed. By the way i used/configured WPA2/WPA3 mode (works with V1.27).

6 comments
2 |3000

Do you have some logs form the AP? I need more info as I don't have a similar AP to test.
0 Likes 0 ·
d4h-ottmar avatar image d4h-ottmar Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Understand - will try to detect/find something. Please give me some time.
0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, we are also going to order an AP from Ubiquity.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
can you tell me the AP model?

0 Likes 0 ·
d4h-ottmar avatar image d4h-ottmar Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

It's an AP Pro (Gen 5 afaik). Will check later of the day if i can discover any reports from system.

0 Likes 0 ·
flajzi avatar image flajzi Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

In my scenario it is UAP-AC-LR.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

I see some reports regarding ESP32 ( that's inside the EVCS) and Ubiquity.
There is also a recommendation in there, can you try that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/vih9k6/unifi_and_esp328266_devices/

2 comments
2 |3000

flajzi avatar image flajzi commented ·

I disabled UAPSD (Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery) in UniFi Controller for my WiFi and EVCS started working again! But what is really strange, I enabled UAPSD again and EVCS continued working. That's some kind of one-time issue I guess...

0 Likes 0 ·
d4h-ottmar avatar image d4h-ottmar commented ·

@Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff): have tried your suggestion/recommendation and bingo, EVCS is now connecting to AP after update to version 1.28. Have created an isolated SSID bridged to the used vlan. @flajzi: think, if you activate UAPSD again you will get in trouble next time after a cold boot cycle of the charger -imho- (not tried yet). Thanks to all of you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Perfect, thanks for testing and also, for sharing here your results !

2 |3000