question

ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus asked

Quattro Firmware issues

Good evening all,

I have had a very interesting experience trying to update a 5kVA Quattro.

The unit is running v430, hence the need to update. (quattro is standing idle and has very low load on it)

What happened:

- Downloaded and saved config using VEconfig using MK3 cable (verified it workes)

- Got the quattro ready for firmware update, unplugged venus and turned it off as indicated.

- Plugged MK3 cable into quattro and turned it on.

- The quattro did not turn on and the temperature LED was now on.

- I proceeded to try connect and got a failed message....

- I toggled the on/off switch, sometimes the temperature LED would go on, sometimes not... and VEflash was not happy.

-I then removed the MK3 connection and tried to turn the unit on... No response.

-Now getting worried (as you can understand)

- pluged in the venus, and bam the unit turns on.

I tried this multiple times and nothing seems to repeat (except the fact that it wont update)

At one stage a whole bunch of LED's started flashing, but nothing consistent which I could record.

I have yet to try and update using VictronConnect, but besides that, does anyone see what I am doing wrong?

regards Ewald

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerfirmware update
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ewalderasmus avatar image ewalderasmus commented ·

Update,

I updated another unit (8kVA Unit) and it worked perfectly, meaning I am even more baffled by the 5kVA units experience.

The biggest difference I can see is:

5kVA unit - running firmware version 430

8kVA unit - running firmware version 475

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·
ewalderasmus avatar image ewalderasmus ewalderasmus commented ·

Anyone else had this issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Matthias, I tried to use VE flash. But with no success.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ewalderasmus commented ·

"I tried VEflash, but it refused to turn on. as soon as the MK3 cable was connected and the unit turned on there was a temperature LED on, and the unit never turned on."

Do you mean at the point where VE.flash says to turn the device on?

If yes that is totally normal at this point the device isn't turning on like normal, just click on "next".

Could you make a video of you update process?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Edit:

Ah, I misread. I thougth the update failed, but the issue is that you can't connect to do the update.

2 |3000

ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Ve flash for older model chip numbers eg 19 series

Windows victron connect for newer chip number models could try thanks hope it helps david

8 comments
2 |3000

Hi David, thanks for the reply. I tried VEflash, but it refused to turn on. as soon as the MK3 cable was connected and the unit turned on there was a temperature LED on, and the unit never turned on.

0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image ddickov ewalderasmus commented ·

Have you tried at all Victron connect for windows? Maybe a disconnect of the unit and leave to discharge and then reconnect I had same issues with a multiplus but unit was faulty

0 Likes 0 ·

Only other thing you could try is an android phone with the USB adapter and the mk3 cable to the unit and try and update through the victron connect app works also with a tablet.

0 Likes 0 ·
ewalderasmus avatar image ewalderasmus ddickov commented ·

Thanks so much. I will give these a try, I really do hope the unit isn't faulty as its a pain to replace. Will go and try soon. I am having big issues with this unit. It seems to lose connection with the Venus randomly... don't really know what to say except it needs a firmware update.

0 Likes 0 ·

No problem definitely sounds like a communication problem to me but maybe wrong also, I would try the victron connect app on an iPhone also if available I have seen one or the other work to update firmware also maybe the model has the dip switches moved as I had a problem with mine connecting, some people set them up with dip switches others use the laptop and software to adjust settings but the dip switch locations have to be correct for a firmware update to even connect.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you, that's a very good point. I will check this! Appreciate the help.

0 Likes 0 ·

I also had different reactions based on input, would see it when battery only but wouldn’t see it with grid connected only maybe also worth a shot

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 ewalderasmus commented ·

If it intermittently loses connection with the Venus GX, the same thing might happen when you connect it to the PC (via MK3-USB).

0 Likes 0 ·
ewalderasmus avatar image
ewalderasmus answered ·

Good evening all,

Thank you for all your suggestions, I was able to update the config today, I didn't try and use VEFlash, went straight to VE connect and it worked. I will see if I still have the same issues as I had before, IE loses connection to Venus after a few days...

@Matthias Lange - DE I did try and connect after turning it on, but VEflash failed to connect, the unit would essentially not respond...

David thank you for your suggestions and assistance.

3 comments
2 |3000

ddickov avatar image ddickov commented ·

No problem did any of it work hehe hope it’s all running well

0 Likes 0 ·

Using VE Connect to update did work, I didnt try anything else but luckily this worked.

0 Likes 0 ·

Superb as long as it’s working :-)

0 Likes 0 ·