question

wolfie avatar image
wolfie asked

How to check for bluetooth firmware version?

I want to check if the SmartShunt Temperature broadcast bug still exists.

Hi,
this is my first post here - apologies if the question was answered before... I searched quite a while and could not find it.

A little background - last night I got an alert that my solar system in our trailer had gone dark. So I went out and checked on it. Battery had performed a low voltage shut off and I charged it a little via my vehicle.

What I found is that both SmartSolar chargers I have stopped charging several days prior because they were thinking the battery temp was 0ºC. I now found that this is a bug that's supposed to be fixed with bluetooth firmware v2.46. As per the release notes this was officially released on 2023-10-04.
Now we were camping about two weeks afterwards and I usually install the updates...

So the question is: How can I see what exact bluetooth firmware version is installed on my SmartShunt? All I could see is a general firmware version for it in the VE Network overview:

img-5902.png

I'm not going to be at the system for a few days but I tried to find it in the demo library. There as well I can only see any kind of versions in the VE Networking screen.
What am I missing?

Thanks & best,
Wolf

VictronConnect
img-5902.png (388.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@wolfie If you open the device and look under product info (open setting cog, then three ..., product info you will see the latest. (do it from the device list and not smart networking) It will prompt you when you open the device typically and have the latest verion of Victronconnect installed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wolfie avatar image
wolfie answered ·

Thanks for your answer! That's where I was hoping to find that info - but at least in the demo mode it's not showing:
img-5903.png

I guess that's where I got confused... hopefully *fingers crossed*
I'll check in a few day when back in range of the system and report back.

img-5903.png (155.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

You have to connect directly to the device with VictronConnect using bluetooth. (edited to reflect the point of Thiemo)

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @ejrossouw

When you are connecting though VRM, the Bluetooth firmware will never be updated as the VE.Direct connection is only with the battery monitor part of the SmartShunt/BMV and not with the internal bluetooth dongle.

With kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
wolfie avatar image
wolfie answered ·

Thanks again... I just got back from our trailer and when connected directly I could see that the bluetooth interface firmware was at 2.43 still. Updated it and am hoping that this weird temperature / charging bug really is gone with it.
Cheers!

2 |3000

Related Resources