question

gsalgado avatar image
gsalgado asked

Mppt displays negative temp and stops charging even though I've no temp sensor

After the last firmware update my mppts stopped delivering any current to my batteries, even though the PV voltage was above 21v and the state was bulk. When I checked on the connect app, they were displaying a battery temp of -1°C, which is incorrect as I'm in the tropics and have no temp sensor on my BMV. I had to dig into the settings and disable the "low temperature cut off" to get them to charge again. This happened immediately after the last firmware upgrade (1.61 and 2.44).

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Batterytemperature
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dustin-1 avatar image dustin-1 commented ·
I had the same issue on both of my MPPT's this morning. Was reading -17 degrees and triggered low temperature cut off. I simply disabled low temperature cutoff (which is no a useful setting in my system with no temperature sensor) and the problem resolved.
0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

Today we released a new firmware for the BMVs and SmartShunts, still in beta, that fixes exactly the issue described by many in this thread.

The issue happened very rarely, and was rather hard to find and fix, but the good news is that that is done.

For now only available via VictronConnect beta program: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta#v600beta5

Look for Bluetooth firmware v2.46, for BMV and SmartShunt.

Make sure to install that bluetooth firmware update - you’ll need to do that by hand. (Go to the BMV or SmartShunt, into the Product info page, scroll to the bottom).

For most people I recommend to just wait a few weeks, by which we’ll have made the update available via the normal app store.

So, no need to try and get a beta version installed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's an internal temp sensor.

Which MPPTs and how old are they?

1 comment
2 |3000

gsalgado avatar image gsalgado commented ·
Smart solar 75/15. Both 1y old
0 Likes 0 ·
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

This is an old story. Few people reported this in the last months.

Sometimes showing -1°C, sometimes -18°C and even down to -273°C... I had this situation two times. After a reset of the MPPT by disconnecting the Solar input and the battery the MPPT will work again.

The problem might apear again after some time, or never pop up again...

2 |3000

Cristian avatar image
Cristian answered ·

captura de pantalla-20230417-112515.jpg

creo que es problema de red ve.smart&smartshunt

Mi configuracion

mppt 10030

ip22 (ve.smart)

smartshunt

RPI venus 2.92 /guimod v7.32

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @gsalgado

You say that you don't have a temp sensor connected to the BMV, but what is the setting of the AUX input on the BMV? Is that perhaps still set to Temperature?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

8 comments
2 |3000

The aux input is my starter battery
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ gsalgado commented ·
Hi @gsalgado

I assume that you have the MPPTs in a VE.Smart networking with the BMV?

What happens when you remove the BMV from the network for 30 minutes? Does the MPPT then still show the temperature of -1?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
gsalgado avatar image gsalgado Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Yes they're on a ve.smart network. None of my mppts ever displayed a temperature, it first happened shortly after the last firmware update and disappeared some time after I disabled "low temperature cutoff" to get the controllers to charge again. Re-enabling that doesn't cause the temperature to be displayed again
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ gsalgado commented ·
Hi @gsalgado

It is good to hear that the negative temperature is gone and everything is working as it should be.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
gsalgado avatar image gsalgado Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Sorry but that's not good. Yes, The temperature is gone from the info display and the mppts are charging again, but we don't know what caused it to appear with a negative reading in the first place so it could come back any time and if I'm not watching I could end up with my batteries fully discharged and that can be a big problem whether you live on a boat where everything depends on those batteries

Is there anything else I can do to debug this now? If not, how can I debug it the next time a negative temp appears?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @gsalgado

What you can do next time is see what happens when you remove the BMV from the Smart network for 30 minutes.

Another thing is creating service a service log after connecting to an MPPT, one service log for each MPPT and a service log after connecting to the BMV. Then attach those service logs to a new reply in this thread.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @gsalgado

What are the firmware versions of the BMV712 (and its internal dongle)?

And did you only update the firmware MPPT (and its internal dongle) when the problem occurred or did you update the firmware of the BMV (and internal dongle)?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

4.13/2.43 for the bmv

1.61/2.44 for the mppts.

IIRC the problem happened after an update of the mppts firmware - - there was no update available for the bmv then
0 Likes 0 ·
Cristian avatar image
Cristian answered ·
It was solved by playing with options in auxiliary inputscreenshot-20230505-093540.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Not my case, my aux input is my starter battery
0 Likes 0 ·
ruud-reniers avatar image
ruud-reniers answered ·

Same problem over here. Smart solar mppt and smartshunt. External temp is about 20C. 

2 |3000

henrik avatar image
henrik answered ·

Same problem here too. In had a false -1 degree measurement a few months ago, and last week I got false -18 degree measurements on both mppt's. Luckily I don't have much drain on my battery, but it was steadily going down when I was away from my cabin.

2 |3000

dmsims avatar image
dmsims answered ·

Just wanted to add that I have had this issue as well

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

Interessting to know would be, if someone had this problem (same negative temperature displayed in MPPT) more then one time...

I already had -1, -18 and -273°C. After a complete reset the MPPT worked withour any problem. The last time I had this topic is already > half year ago. So far with no problem any more.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?