question

jokingjovial avatar image
jokingjovial asked

LTE-M network for Global link 520 in the UK not operational

Hi. My Global link 520 hasn't been communicating for over a month. Ive been told by my supplier that its a LTE-M network operator problem in the UK. I really could do with the network up and running to monitor my leisure batteries over the winter months in my motorhome which is in storage. When do you think normal service will be resumed and will the 5 year data sim be extended? to cover the outage?

globallinklte-m
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@jokingjovial Regarding the GlobalLink 520. O2/Telefonica has blocked LTE-M data connectivity in the UK for all roaming partners, which affects (amongst others) Deutsche Telekom and in turn 1NCE (Victron's SIM provider). 1NCE originally communicated that this was not intended and that O2UK would restore service "as soon as possible", however appears not to be the case. Apparently O2UK's roaming agreement with DT suggests OSUK is not required to provide LTE-M coverage so they turned it off and are now re-negotiating with DT about the terms for providing LTE-M roaming.

Signs are positive that an agreement will be reached.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

To be clear, Victron doesn't operate the LTE-M networks, so any question about service interruptions should be directed to the local LTE-M service provider - according to the GlobalLink coverage map, looks like that would be Telefonica Europe perhaps.

2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

The Globallink has an internal sim card from 1NCE. ( https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/GlobalLink_520/en/cellular-connectivity.html ) However, if there is a LTE-M issue, thats not going to change with another sim.

You might be able to get a local LTE-M sim and install that for the time beeing. The page above also describes how to replace the sim and use your own.

2 |3000

er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

Same issue for me here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/240370/globalling-520-suddenly-stopped-connecting-to-cell.html

Any updates for you?

Mine is still down. I was about to order a new LTE-M SIM, but after reading your post I reconsidered.

Also found this: https://isdown.app/integrations/twilio/incidents/242866-on-call-engineers-are-investigating-an-issue-with-supersim

2 |3000

er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

Thanks, yes, I'm looking at another provider for the SIM card currently.

2 |3000

mikew1 avatar image
mikew1 answered ·

Did anyone find a suitable LTE-M sim for the UK? My global link has intermittently connected to vodafone some how but isn't at all stable. Doesn't sound like O2 are going to bother resolving the issue so I've got an expensive chocolate teaput currently. No wonder someone was selling it :-D

2 |3000

er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

I couldn't find a suitable alternative.

My Globallink has been offline for months now.

I ended up disconnecting the Globallink as it was also drawing a decent amount of electricity (mine is a small system) as other users reported here: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/184427/globallink-520-power-comsumption.html?childToView=261256#answer-261256

2 comments
2 |3000

mikew1 avatar image mikew1 commented ·

Thanks for the feedback. Disappointing that I've spent money on a device that I can't use now. I wish victron would've made it support wifi at least since the chip their using supports it https://www.4gltemall.com/downloads/dl/file/id/216/product/1411/pycom_g01_specifications.pdf. Either that or they could approach O2 as an enterprise to see if they could at least start stocking/selling O2 LTE-M sim cards since I can't see a way of getting them as a consumer.

I'm not sure I'm going to get any support as Victron won't take support calls direct and I brought the unit second hand so the supplier/dealer isn't going to want to talk to me, not that they could help anyway!

1 Like 1 ·
er-minio avatar image er-minio mikew1 commented ·

Same feelings here.

1 Like 1 ·
er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

The Globallink is still not working due to the LTE-M issues in the UK.

It is about 5 months now.

Questions: would the Globallink recognise a normal 4G SIM? I guess not. Is the only way to make this work to obtain an O2 LTE-M SIM? Is that even possible?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic