question

rene-salden avatar image
rene-salden asked

Global Link not connecting to LTE-M

I bought a new Victron Global Link 520. After switching on, the blue LED continues to flash (tested for two days) and status is: Connecting to LTE network. Reception is -73 dB. KPN indicates that coverage in my village is good.

Last Transfer: Never
LTE-M: Connecting to LTE network
Sim status: Ready
LTE-M signal strength: -73 dB
Antenna: External
Operator: NL KPN (20408)

Could there be a problem with the included 1nce sim?
globallinklte-m
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, we have two batches of GlobalLink 520s of which a certain percentage of units doesn’t work. They can’t connect to internet.

The issue is for GlobalLinks with serial numbers starting with HQ2239 and HQ2242. And then firmware version v2.05. When loaded with version v2.06, all is OK.

What makes this quite a bit more difficult than normally is that it is, using our normal tooling such as VictronConnect, not possible to firmware update a GlobalLink. The only way to firmware update a GlobalLink is via VRM, but then the unit needs to be connected to the internet.

To see if your GlobalLink has this issue:

1) check the serial number

2) check the firmware version. Firmware version is visible in VictronConnect.

And then send it in for an update/replacement.

I’m very sorry for the troubles caused here!

Best regards, Matthijs

Ps. We’re currently checking and where necessary fixing our stock. The only warehouse from which we ever shipped those batches is the one in the Netherlands. Which supplies Europe except for Spain: Spain has its own warehouse.

Note that these fixed units will still have firmware version v2.05; a visual marking will be added to make clear they’ve been fixed.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

larsol avatar image larsol commented ·

Hi @mvader (Victron Energy),

I have this situation with a new Globallink 520 from a NW supplier (delivered last week)with serial HQ2239xxxx. Can you identify from this picture of the box it this is the case? I do not see any extra marking indicating that it have been fixed?

Brg Lars Olsen

IMG_4792.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-4792.jpg (2.2 MiB)
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ larsol commented ·

it cannot have been fixed yet; sorry

1 Like 1 ·
jkort avatar image jkort commented ·

I have Global Link 520 S/N HQ2239CAYAH Firmware 2.06 which has connection to the Vodafone LTE network name Vodafone NL (20404). I have added an external LTE antenna at some point resulting in a further improved signal strength. Very often excellent signal -55 dB signal RSSI. However on a daily basis I am facing multiple VRM Notifiers that VRM Database is not receiving data and I see these graph interrupts. I am facing this is issue since the installation Oct 8th 2023. So with and without external antenna.

What Is causing this issue? And how can it be fixed?

img-8069.pngimg-8070.png

schermafbeelding-2024-04-10-om-205207.png

0 Likes 0 ·
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Are you absolutely certain that you have LTE-M service in your area? The GL520 will not operate on the normal LTE network.

2 |3000

rene-salden avatar image
rene-salden answered ·

Screenshot of LTE-M coverage via provider's website. I live in the middle (Terborg). This seems to be enough coverage.

kpn2.png

kpn2.png (210.5 KiB)
2 |3000

rene-salden avatar image
rene-salden answered ·

I have been in contact with the company where I bought the Global Connect. Something seems wrong with the Global Connect. They want me to send it back.

2 |3000

danapple avatar image
danapple answered ·

I had the same problem. The shop from which I bought (and to which I returned) my GlobalLink 520 says that they have a number of these devices returned with the same problem and that Victron is working on it.

Dan.

2 |3000

danapple avatar image
danapple answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) ,

Thanks for the update! The unit I bought and that is back at the shop has a serial number starting HQ2239. It's nice to know that the problem wasn't me!

Sincerely,
Dan.

2 comments
2 |3000

danapple avatar image danapple commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy) ,

The replacement unit, with serial number starting HQ2115, arrived today and quickly connected to LTE-M. It is now visible in the web VRM.

Sincerely,

Daniel.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ danapple commented ·
Good!
0 Likes 0 ·
rene-salden avatar image
rene-salden answered ·

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not know the serial number because I returned the device to my seller in Almere two weeks ago. This company indicates that they are waiting for a response from Victron. I hope for quick action from Victron.

6 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, for now, all failing units are being asked to be sent back to our office in Almere, and immediately replaced by a new one - from Spain warehouse.

That is where there is good stock at the moment. Shipping might take a fay or two longer.

Earliest by late next week I expect good stock again in NL.

1 Like 1 ·
rene-salden avatar image rene-salden mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
I'm looking forward to an update. The company where I bought the Global Link (George Kniest) indicates that they have not yet received a new one. Can you indicate when that will happen?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ rene-salden commented ·
That is strange; I’ve asked the service department to find out
1 Like 1 ·

5 days later and I am curious about the response of the service department.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ rene-salden commented ·
Hi, sorry for the delay! I expected you to have it by now; but perhaps it takes a few days longer than anticipated.

There was no stock last week. But this week all orders have been shipped out for the GlobalLink;
0 Likes 0 ·

I've waited a few days but haven't received anything yet. I'll ask George Kniest for an update.

0 Likes 0 ·
fermont avatar image
fermont answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Hi,

Already in february this year I posted a question about my Globallink.
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/186149/globallink-520-nl-coverage.html

I have connection every now and then but I am unable to have a stable connection. Might this be related to the same problem?
I bought the device in December 2022 @George Kniest. Not sure if it is possible to return the device. For now it is not usable.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi,

No, not related.

Sorry to hear it doesn’t work. I’ll check internally how cases are handled and get back to you.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic