question

er-minio avatar image
er-minio asked

Globalling 520 suddenly stopped connecting to cellular network

My Globabllink 520 suddenly stopped connecting to the LTE network about 10 days ago.

I bought it used on eBay, it is one of the earlier models (rounded case) but the SIM inside should be good for 5 years and, unless I'm wrong, even the earliest Globallinks are <5 years, right?

It had been running with no issues whatsoever for more than a year.

SIM status was "ready" last time I checked. I'll check later today.
I restarted it, but keeps flashing blue (Connecting).

Anything to troubleshoot?

TIA

globallinklte-m
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

Update, the "Operator" field is "--". I guess this could mean that the SIM ran out of its life span (> 5 years)?

screenshot-2023-11-28-at-110338.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

That's a 2021 serial number, so you certainly shouldn't be out of the 5-year data plan on that SIM. I've seen a few reports from various sections of the world of the local LTE-M service providers being down recently though, particularly in the UK; possibly scheduled maintenance or some other issue. What area of the world are you in?

2 |3000

er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

I'm in London, pretty central too.

I have full 5G signal on location (you can see that in the screenshot) on my phone and there is another device (remote camera) running a data feed from a 4G SIM card successfully. The LTE-M checker gives perfect coverage status for the area.

I cannot understand what happened. I checked the serial number again those units that had problems (there was another thread about it) and it's not amongst them.

I would try using an external antenna, but the signal strength seems ok.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
The issue is that LTE-M is a different network than 5G or "regular" 4G. As far as I know (based on the GlobalLink coverage provider chart) the LTE-M network in the UK is run by Telefonica Europe and I've seen multiple reports that their service is down for some reason or another, though obviously I can't confirm that myself, nor speak to why it may or may not be the case - maybe worth giving them a call to inquire?

Might also be worth checking for any FW update on the GlobalLink while you're connected to it through VictronConnect and personally I'd also just power-cycle it as well in case it's one of those "reboot the device" easy fixes.
0 Likes 0 ·
er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

Thanks. I power cycled it multiple times and connected to it via Victron Connect. I also checked if there is any beta firmware updates, but nothing.

It has been disconnected for a bit more than a month now.

All LTE-M trackers I can find for free online indicate proper coverage.

I’ll try to move in to another location for a test.

2 |3000

k-k avatar image
k-k answered ·

Just an idea (born from the defunc of 3G some time ago):

Does your LTE tracker show wether the CELL is full?

You might have a good signal, but you can't log in. Any software at hand to force 2G or GSM just for testing?

2 |3000

er-minio avatar image
er-minio answered ·

> Does your LTE tracker show wether the CELL is full?

Good point. I don't know. Will check again.

> Any software at hand to force 2G or GSM just for testing?

What do you mean?

2 comments
2 |3000

k-k avatar image k-k commented ·

@er-minio

try to find a version for your functional spare/test-smartphone. start network.apk. Be in the vicinity of the (globallink-)cell and force that phone to gsm, give it 1,2,3 seconds. Start logg-in for globallink, if youre lucky the cell is now powered up and has a gsm channel open which globallink could find.

No guarantee for function in London - german (De: Funklöcher) are legend, i use this rarely to get better throughput, nonswitching fixed modes can be better than auto-modes.....

catch22: () network(pic-apk).zip

1 Like 1 ·
networkpic-apk.zip (964.7 KiB)
er-minio avatar image er-minio k-k commented ·
Thanks – I do have a spare Android phone, I'll give it a go!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic