question

Michael Ziegler avatar image
Michael Ziegler asked

Benefits of VE Direct over VE Can ( Except Daisy Chain and Cleaner Look/ Less Cables)

I cannot see where the technical benefits of VE Direct over VE Can are discussed. Is the only reason I should choose one over the other - the connection set up - which seems to be the only thing mentioned ( Daisy Chain vs Individual Cables and $$ of Victron VE Cable)

Are there technical reasons I should choose one over the other when connecting to Cerbo GX when I have the choice?

VE.DirectVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Michael Ziegler

It depends on how big your install is and how much information you would like on the GX from each MPPT.

Sometimes in a daisy chain, if a connection is lost/has gone bad. (And it happens) You lose the end of the chain and so production. Packets losses means sometimes patchy data (also depends on the set up.) Don't go cheap on the patch cables.

Ve direct has 30days of data on the GX, VE can 2days.

As for actual performance in production not any difference.

In personal experience had zero problems with VE direct and issues with CAN.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image
Al answered ·

It shouldn't really make much difference, but I always found Ve.direct MPPT's did their own thing when switching to Float or for FLA batteries if doing an equalisation, you'd have to tell each one individually. Ve.Can all seem to synchronise together. Maybe that's fixed for Ve.Direct now though?

2 |3000

Related Resources

VE.Direct protocol FAQ

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic