question

painjansen avatar image
painjansen asked

EasySolar AC-IN connection from grid - extra fuse needed?

I'm currently running on an off-grid setup with an EasySolar II (5000/48), solar panels and a PylonTech US5000 battery. Now that we're entering winter-times, I've had 2 dead-moments this year so far. So I'm checking options for charging the battery from my neighbors with a normal grid-connection.

Is anyone familiar with the required installation? I'm hoping it to be as simple as pushing a normal cable from their wall-socket into the 'AC-IN' on my EasySolar? If that's the case, do I need a fuse as well? (manual - page 1 - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/EasySolar-II_GX/11230-EasySolar-II_GX-pdf-en.pdf - mentions a 32A fuse required. Wall sockets shouldn't deliver >16A so that shouldn't be required, right?)

If it's not as simple as a normal cable into the AC-IN, are there any other easy methods to achieve a recharged battery (except for an old-school generator)?

EasySolar All-in-Oneoffgridgridac
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

You can fuse the AC IN at a lower value, not "greater" than 32A. So, you could limit the AC IN current to whatever you want via the Remote Console. Go to the Multiplus menu (from devices page) and set what you want for the AC IN current limit, which will be respected for charging. Obviously you need to set this input limit below the rating of the power outlet you are using.!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

painjansen avatar image
painjansen answered ·

Ok - that makes sense - so it’s simply a matter of connecting a power cable from a socket from my neighbors to the AC-IN.

Thanks, super helpful!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page