question

bruno-o avatar image
bruno-o asked

External power consumption higher in VRM after adding additional Multiplus II with parallel mode

Good morning everybody!

I've upgraded our system from 3 x Multiplus II 48/5000/70 (3 phase) to 6 x Multiplus II 48/5000/70 (3 phase with 2 parallel).

The rest of the system is unchanged which means, there are still 16 kWp solar panels with 3 MPPT 450 and 20 kWh Pylontech batteries.

With this system upgrade I also had to upgrade the firmware of the older Multiplus to have matching versions (from 496 to 506). The configuration of the Multiplus II devices is the same as before.

What I've seen now in the VRM portal, after the upgrade the system is consuming more external grid power than before.

E.g. this is one day before the upgrade, 0.3 kWh from the grid the whole day.

bildschirmfoto-2023-08-12-um-062730.png

And this is one day after the upgrade, 3.2 kWh from the grid, 10 times more!

bildschirmfoto-2023-08-12-um-063929.png

What could be the reason for this?

• Is it a new measurement algorithm for "from grid"/ "to grid" because of the firmware upgrade?
  • Is parallel mode much more difficult to control?
  • Any ideas?

Thanks!

VRM3 phasemultiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Pretty normal, can also be affected by multis of different ages. Best adjust the setpoint in ESS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bruno-o avatar image
bruno-o answered ·

Ok, thanks

2 |3000

bruno-o avatar image
bruno-o answered ·

Bring this up once again.

Even with adjusted ESS setpoint the power consumption is way larger than before.

So one additional info and question:
At the moment there is no external grid meter connected which means, the internal power sensors of the 6 Multiplus II devices are used.

Would it improve power handling and external power consumption if I add an EM540 grid meter, has anybody tested both variants?

2 |3000

sgrigor1 avatar image
sgrigor1 answered ·

Yes, for parallel system is recommended to install a meter for grid because the internal measurement of Invertor is not accurate. So what you see on dashboard is not precise.

2 |3000