question

lfhoward avatar image
lfhoward asked

Battery Temperature not like RuuviTags?

Dear Victron Community (especially the designers),

I think it's brilliant that RuuviTag temperature sensors display on the VRM screen and can be selected to trigger relays in the remote console settings.

Alas, battery temperature (as reported to Venus by the BMV or Smart Shunt's battery temperature sensor) does not have the same functionality. It really should!

Has anyone figured out how to do this, beyond taping a RuuviTag to the outside of your battery (not as accurate as the BMV/Shunt battery sensor!)?

If it is not possible in the current version, can the designers (hello, @mvader (Victron Energy) :-) look into adding this feature? I would like battery temperature to display on the VRM the same way RuuviTags do and be able to trigger a relay for a battery heater or cooling fan from Venus OS.

Thank you for considering this feature! (or thank you for showing me how to enable it!)

Cheers,

VRMVenus OSTemperature Sensor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

john-hayward avatar image john-hayward commented ·
To expand on this feature request: The goal is the ability to program a battery heater based on temperature of the battery. The desire is to enable access to the temperature at the relay configuration.

Victron Smart Batteries know their internal temperature: Can that be shared to other devices (bluetooth or cabling)?

Victron Smart Batteries send an ATC signal that cuts-out at low temp or high cell voltage. Is there a way to differentiate ATC-off due to low temperature. This is typically when the heater would engage.

A battery terminal temperature sensor is the next best thing: Can that be connected to a Cerbo GX or Victron Smart BMS (both with relays) such that the relay could use this temperature to engage the heater?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, noted! Thats indeed not possible at the moment.

I agree that it would be nice to have this. I have to warn, it will probably be a while before we have this, I recommend not to wait on that.

Meanwhile btw there are a few alternatives. One is to use the relay in the BMV. Not possible with a SmartShunt as it has no relay.

And the other is to use Node-RED. But that requires a bit of a “deep dive”; however much I dislike that buzzword ;o).

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lfhoward avatar image lfhoward commented ·

Thank you for the prompt reply! I do have a BMV, so it will just take a little extra wiring to use its relay for my battery heater.

Have a great week. :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
john-hayward avatar image john-hayward commented ·

is it possible to leverage this relay functionality with the Lynx Smart BMS? specifically can the relay trigger on Victron Smart Battery low temperature ATC off signal? Can I tap into the Victron Smart Battery internal temperature to trigger relay? Is there a battery terminal temperature sensor that connects to Lynx Smart BMS or to Cerbo GX that provides a temperature that can be used to control the relay?

0 Likes 0 ·
alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob answered ·

This would be a great feature. Having the minimum battery cell temperature reported to the Cerbo GX via the bus.can is great, but it would be so much better to then be able to control a Cerbo relay to turn on heater based on these reported temperatures.

Definitely looking forward to this functionality at the soonest!

2 |3000