question

vishnuh avatar image
vishnuh asked

Eyelet connector M6 - Fuse and cable dimensions

Hi,

I was wondering, as I will use that product with a 105ah Lithium battery and with a Blue Smart Battery charger IP65 12V/4A if:

- I should change the fuse rating to 10A?

- Why the maximum current is 20A and the default fuse (ATO) is 30A? Shouldn't the fuse protect the wiring?

- I could lengthen the cable by 30cm with a cable of 14AWG?

Thank you for your answer !

chargerfusesip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

The Eyelet connector M6 seems to be an accessory for all the Victron IP65 Smart chargers. I did not find any message that it's mentioned for a specific IP65 model charger only. So I assume that this accessory is also suitbale for the large 25A version, and therefore the wiring should be thick enough.

If you are going to charge a 105Ah lithium battery (LFP/LiFePO4 is assume), with 12V and only 4A of current, then the wiring of the Eyelet connector M6 will be big enough for sure. Only, when you charge a 105Ah battery with 4A, you will need quite some patience to let the chager fill this battery.

If the Eyelet connector M6 has a fuseholder with 30A fuse, this is probably for the biggest IP65 charger, doing 25A continious. You can change this fuse to 5A or 10A if you are going to charge with 4A max. And the fuse is not to protect the maximum load current, it's there to protect the connection in between the battery and the charger, so it can be a bit higher in rating than the charing current.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Can you clarify for us what wire and fuse you are referring to? I have a 7amp Blue Smart Charger and neither of the supplied leads are fused so I'm not sure what fuse you want to change? Are you saying you have an aftermarket fused wire that you want to lengthen by 30cm?

Yes a fuse is to protect the wire. A 12 volt system with 14 AWG wire can safely handle a 11.8 A current so it should be protected with a 10 amp fuse.

Please provide us with more details.

Maybe this will help: https://www.oznium.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-fuse-wire-size-for-your-project/

2 |3000

vishnuh avatar image
vishnuh answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

regman54 avatar image regman54 commented ·

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of those leads with the fuse holder. Good to know.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Be aware that some fuses will blow earlier than you think when subjected to continuous loads at/near the max rating. Normal to double the current to decide on fuse size. For what you're doing I'd not go lower than a 10A fuse.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic