question

bateau avatar image
bateau asked

SmartShunt and legacy monitors

I have just installed and have working a Cerbo-S GX which is displaying whatever devices it can see in the VRM portal. Presently I have connected by VE-direct a SmartSolar 100/30 which is giving me some data. I say some because the Victron Connect App via Bluetooth shows similar data presented differently but it also shows battery voltage and temperature from a SmartBattery Sense using VE-network over bluetooth. So the app provides battery voltage and temperature which is helpful.

So to see battery state it looks like I will need to add a SmartShunt which allows VE-direct to the Cerbo and bluetooth to the Connect App. Of course the SmartShunt would also provide other useful stuff like Amps IN/OUT, voltage and maybe current appropriate AHrs.

When I say add a SmartShunt what I really mean is replace my existing 500A shunt which currently has a BEP Battery monitor connected which is still works and is integral to an existing BEP boat control panel containing gas sensors and solenoids, tank states, the battery monitor and below all the boat circuit breakers. So the current battery monitor stays.

So the question is, if I replace my current 500a shunt with a 500A SmartShunt, will I be also able to connect my existing BEP monitor across the shunt?

All I want remote is to see battery voltage, as that’s near enough to understand battery state of charge. If the BEP monitor can’t be used with a SmartShunt, what other way is there to see resting battery voltage remotely through the VRM portal?

cerbo gxSmartShuntSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You will not be able to connect your BEP monitor to the SmartShunt, but you can certainly just install a SmartShunt in series with your existing BEP shunt, to make use of both at the same time if you'd like. There will obviously be a minimal degree of increased resistance in the circuit due to the two shunts, but so long as the connections are proper this should be negligible and is not an uncommon practice in the industry.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.