question

yann avatar image
yann asked

EVCS off grid in auto mode bug report

Hi all

I'm victron installer. I recently (yesterday) installed the victron EVCS in an off grid plant, and I found a very weird bug that cause the evcs in auto mode to stay locked in the "waiting for sun" state.

Lest explain a bit the situation, and what I suspect to be the exact source of the problem.

The system is composed by a cerboGX, multiplus II 48/5000, one 150/60 mppt with 2600Wc PV on it, other 2500Wc PV plan AC coupled with a Solis inverter (wich work nicely with frequency shift ! ), two 10kWh PAND PowerCube lithium batteries, and the EvCS feeding power to a Renault ZOE.

I configured the EVCS for start charging when SOC reach 100%, and stop at 97%, to be sure most of the capacity remains available for the house.

I waited to see how it works, and... nothing. When the battery was fully charged, the evcs status goes from "low SOC" to "waiting for sun", whereas it was a fully clear wheather, at 11AM...

And then the house's water pump started, so some energy was drawn from the batteries during the time the mppt and the Solis inverter restarted, and when they started to produce power again, thus refilling a little bit the batteries, evcs started to charge.

Wow, that was strange.

So I investigated a bit, and found the "waiting for sun" state is waiting for the battery current to be positive (but I can't determine the trigger level) to detect there is sun power available.

Then it starts a 30s delay, and then if the current is still positive, it starts charging.

I think when using lead-acid batteries, this works well as when it switches to float, there still be a small current feeding the batteries. But whith lithium ones, as the current abrutly goes to 0 when the BMS say they are fully charged, it won't.

I tried to change the SOC start settings to 99% to see what happens. Same thing, as I suspect it waits the SOC to be above the setting and not just reach the setting.

Setting a lower starting point works as expected, as the battery current is still positive. But then the battery never reach 100% if the car can't be fully charged by the end of the day.

I think to solve the issue, it's needed to remove or at least *make configurable the starting delay* when sun is "detected", as 30s is way too long is this situation.

And also when the SOC is 99 or 100%, allow to start charging when battery current is *not negative* instead of *positive*

Anyway, great job with this evcs, when it starts, then it adapts nicely to the available sun power :) but I'd love the current change to be a little faster. Can the adaptation speed become configurable also ? Would be great ! :)

Also something wich would be really great to investigates would be to have a VRM widget with the evcs state and another with the wanted/effective charging current.

I have some C/C++ programming skills, I already played with ESP32, so I think I can help with this for free if needed :) I would love the have my customers happy with the devices I install :)

bug reportfeature requestevcs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
andreas-siebenmorgen avatar image
andreas-siebenmorgen answered ·

Hi, why are you pushing your battery nearly to the SOC 100% limit? Nobody wants the battery to be in this high SOC. When getting near to 100% charge current significantly drops and it takes long time to reach 100%. I would suggest start experimenting with 80/70% for both values.

Next question, what max Wp can your PV setup deliver? Example: When your EVCS is set to charge with minimum of 10 Amps (about 2300W) and your PV hardly delivers more than 2300W, charging will never start (and show waiting for solar). PV output must be significantly above minimum charging power used with the EVCS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yann avatar image
yann answered ·

Because batteries every day charges to 100%, or you have a design problem like not enough PV for the use you have... Or I completely miss something.... The problem is with lithium batteries, current never drop significantly before reaching 100%, but then stop abruptly when reached. At least with the Pand batteries that are used here. It may have been a little different with pylontechs.

The behaviour you describe is ok for lead acid batteries, with is not what's used here.

Minimum charge current is set to 6A (works fine with the Renault Zoé), PV at mid day delivers up to 4200/4500W. So no problem here. When charge started, it reached 18A in auto mode.

2 |3000

yann avatar image
yann answered ·

I have done several tests to confirm, setting a lower SOC start value works, but then I need to reduce the max EV charge current so the battery of the house can reach 100% even with EV charging, and if for some reason the EV charge stops (inverter overload, for example) then as the house battery is full, the "bug" steps in and the Ev charge never restarts :(

Or if you plug the can when the house battery are already full, same thing :(

This is very annoying. We found the trick to start charge manually with a large current, so it draws some energy from the house battery, then switch to auto mode works to start the auto mode charge. But again, if the charge stops for any reason, it won't restart automatically.

2 |3000

yann avatar image
yann answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) any idea to solve this ? As I previously said, I would be happy to help with the esp32 code if needed.

2 |3000

andreas-siebenmorgen avatar image
andreas-siebenmorgen answered ·

Generally I can confirm the behaviour with my installation. I think the problem is reaching 100% SOC. With my installation charging power starts to be reduced at about 95%. The result is, PV panels aren’t delivering the peak power the EVCS needs to -autostart-, because the charge current of the batteries is dropping. Try to start some additional loads, to push the power pulled from PV is above the threshold of the EVCS and check I autostart word.

For now it looks like a design flaw. If PV cannot deliver peak power, because battery is full, EVCS will not recognize this and therefore will not start charging because there is no excess power.

2 |3000

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic