question

mitchroberson avatar image
mitchroberson asked

Cerbo GX Join Blue tooth Network

I may have missed this. but is the cerbo GX able to join the blue tooth network of other devices. and then consume that information from those devices?

cerbo gxBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mitchroberson avatar image
mitchroberson answered ·

Found the answer here VictronConnect network (Bluetooth) Cerbo GX - Victron Community (victronenergy.com)

The Bluetooth functionality is designed for easy configuration using a phone or tablet etc. using VictronConnect.
The Bluetooth functionality in the CerboGX is to aid in initial configuration of the networking settings using VictronConnect.
The Bluetooth also offers VE.Smart networking for small systems where there is no central "hub" like a CerboGX. The low bandwidth capability of Bluetooth its self only allows a small amount of data to be exchanged within a VE.Smart network. Typically just Voltage, temperature and synchronised charging.

Once you have a CerboGX then there is no need for VE.Smart networking anymore. The CerboGX also offers VRM connectivity which VE.Smart Networking does not do.
The devices need to connect with cables in order to convey the full set of information from the device to the CerboGX. Also in a system of this size the CerboGX may well be sending control messages to the devices. Hard copper cables are best for this sort of communication.

I'm not sure why your dealer did not inform you of what I have just explained, they should have.
I don't think there is wasted money, you have almost everything you need to install your system.
Am I right in thinking that the 2x "smart battery connects" are "Smart Battery Sense" modules? If so, you can tell your dealer to take those back, they shouldn't have sold you those. There can only be one source of Voltage measurement, this will come from the SmartShunt.
Get 3x VE.Direct cables to connect your 3x MPPT's to the 3x VE.Direct ports on the CerboGX.
Get 1x VE.Direct - USB cable to connect the SmartShunt in to one of the USB ports on the CerboGX.
The MultiPlus connects to the CerboGX with a standard UTP network cable, the same type of cable that you would connect between your router and computer.
Orion DC-DC can work stand alone.

thanks wkirby

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.