question

Andrew avatar image
Andrew asked

Does Instant readout via Bluetooth create extra power consumption?

Hey folks,

I've searched with no luck... I'm trying to find out if the having 'Instant readout via Bluetooth' feature enabled on the Smart Battery Sense creates extra power consumption?

https://www.victronenergy.com/meters-and-sensors/smart-battery-sense

I'm talking about when the device is just in standby, not when connected and streaming to a phone via BT.

Or does the 'instant readout' only come into place once connected via BT, and there is no additional draw when standing by?

Thanks all.

Temperature SensorSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Andrew

The instant readout feature does not lead to extra power consumption. It uses so called Bluetooth Low Energy advertisement packets that it also sends when the feature is turned off. The contents is just different when the feature it turned on, without the length being very different.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andrew avatar image
Andrew answered ·

Thank you, Thiemo.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual