question

scottz avatar image
scottz asked

Quattro II & BMV712 temperature sensors

I have a BMV712 with a temperature sensor (positive battery terminal) and am in process of installing a Quatro II that also came with a temperature sensor. Should I install both?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I personally have installed every temperature sensor that came with my hardware. This includes 2X Quattros, the BMV-702, a SBS, and three temperature sensors associated with my BMS. That's 7 total, all over the battery.

My battery is custom NMC, large and spread over a significant volume.

What this does is create a notable range of values from different sources that allows me to make judgement calls for temperature related concerns, particularly when it comes danger associated with low temperature charging of Lithium.

It can be a little confusing at times as readings can be quite scattered, but I find it valuable to have additional sensors present for a "sanity check" of the sensors primarily responsible for charge control (the BMS) .

Having each device with it's own redundant sensor also provides additional layers of protection should the BMS fail or be taken offline. Inverters have low temp charging protection enabled, and will take that from their own temp sensor, etc.

Being able to plot and compare different temps in VRM has been very satisfying. Shunt, BMS and Quattro:

1714415841121.png

1714415841121.png (106.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor