question

muddy1 avatar image
muddy1 asked

Mk3-USB an absolute nightmare

I'm starting to regret buying a Multiplus II as setting it up is proving impossible.

The Mk3 adaptor is working fine as it feeds data to a raspberry pi.

I run Linux, which Victron don't support, but I have an old Windows XP laptop which will run the software. However it will not connect to the Mk3. I have followed all the instructions multiple times. The download driver from the internet does not work. The one that VE config provides does not work. Does anyone know of a driver that does work with XP and where I can get it ?

It is a shame the Multiplus is so difficult to setup, the other kit is all very simple via bluetooth. Having various bits of software which half do the job is a complete waste of time. Victron need one cross platform program that will deal with everything, and built in bluetooth for the Multiplius, it costs enough...

VictronConnectMK3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

XP is pretty old and I've had issues with FTDI drivers on XP for other devices in general.
Why not use a more modern OS like Windows 10 and run it in a VM? I don't like Windows either so I only have VM instances of it and it works quite well.
VictronConnect is on it's way to be the one stop configuration software, but Rome wasn't built in a day, so the time will come. As it stand VE.Configure is the way to go for configuring VE.Bus devices.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

I also run linux only. When I got my Multiplus-II a couple of months ago I installed win10 on a laptop just to run VE Configure. After some time I read this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/69495/how-do-i-use-ve-configure-with-linux-ubuntu.html and decided to try. It is working fine, and Victronconnect for linux works fine, so I don't have to bare with windows any more. Very happy about that.

2 |3000

rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I have to second the Win 10 recommendation… I don’t know of anywhere you could get an XP driver. Microsoft doesn’t even support XP anymore, so my guess is you won’t find much from other vendors. Setup doesn’t take long, so perhaps you could borrow a friend‘s laptop for an afternoon to get it set up. If I recall, the update from XP to 10 was free from Microsoft back when I did mine. Perhaps that’s an option for you.

I‘ve been running my Multiplus for over a year, non-stop 24/7, and it’s been faultless and easy to adjust via laptop and Mk3-USB when my needs change. It’s the best inverter-charger out there.

Good luck!

2 |3000

David avatar image
David answered ·

Let’s use a 20 year old OS and blame Victron!

2 |3000

muddy1 avatar image
muddy1 answered ·

I'm only using an old operating system because Victron don't support Linux. It is all I have to work with.

Thanks to the rest of you for your help.

I now have VEconfigure running on wine and talking to the Multi. However it will not download any assistants, so the saga continues. I've installed a browser on wine and that works fine, but still no internet access on VE.

It is starting to look like I will have to buy a windows laptop purely to set up the Multiplus. I therefore feel justified in complaining about Victrons software.

Unless of course anyone knows how to get internet access with VE on wine ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Why do you need internet for VE.config?
0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image mrhappy commented ·
Try using PlayOnLinux method as described in the post I mentioned earlier. That's what I did and VEConfigure updates assistants as it should. I use Peppermint OS 10 if that info helps you any...
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
I run VE.Config in Wine with no problems, Updating VE.Config can be a pain in wine but not needed if you just download the latest. My assistants all work but I am not sure what you mean by download assistants, they are all there already in VE.Config. I actually the whole victron suite in Wine and then upload to Multiplus via VE. Remote on VRM. Have been able to config many systems including 12 inverter systems.

Yes, it sucks that you have to go through a little bit of a hassle to make this work but it is unrealistic to blame Victron for not supporting linux which has a tiny market share for PCs (2.4%), rather be mad that they don't support Mac(15%). Windows is 75%
0 Likes 0 ·
magicmike avatar image
magicmike answered ·

Why don't you not use VM machine on Linux and install windows ?

And you really expecting 20yo os to be updated with newest drivers and all?

2 |3000

muddy1 avatar image
muddy1 answered ·

I have no assistants in VE, that is why I need to download them.

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

pxl-20210827-065833303.jpeg
This is the Default assistants that come with VE.Config. They are there when you install VE.Config and do not need to be downloaded.

0 Likes 0 ·
mtadao avatar image
mtadao answered ·

This is the bane for victron products. You go to a shop, buy a premium victron product thinking it will work flawlessly, only to realise for it to work optimum, you have to buy a gadget B for it only again to realise later a further gadget C is again needed!

2 |3000

muddy1 avatar image
muddy1 answered ·

Finally resolved the problem. Whilst the latest version of wine was loaded on the computer, the "play on Linux" was using an earlier version. When the latest version was added and VE reinstalled to use it the missing assistants were added.

Thanks all

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows