question

harold avatar image
harold asked

Wifi connection lost, were to find log

Hi Data techs,
I have a system running a CCGX, connected to a 4G router.

The CCGX is setup to restart after 1h of no connection

The router is configured to reboot once every 24h at night and is checking its connection by a ping and reboot when lost.

I have set a VRM alarm when no data is received.

Some times the system looses connection for a few hours or even a few days. Other Wifi equipment is still working via the router (So it is not a router issue)
I remember, once have seen a (DNS??) error message (while data connection was lost while I was onboard).
As I can see when data connection was lost, can I also find a log of the Wifi/Data error message anywhere?
Or any other suggestions to keep the system live and connected?

Thanks
Harold

VRMCCGX Color Controlwificonnection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Harold,

There is no documented log for the network connection, so I have moved the question to the modifications space in case someone else knows deep in the file system.

Without the details of the log, do you know;

Is the GX device rebooting every hour like you have set it to when the connection is lost?

And then even after the restart the wifi is not reconnecting?

And then only occasionally finding the wifi router and making the connection?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·
Thanks Guy,

I don't think the CCGX it is rebooting (the instance I had seen it, it was Wifi connected, so the CCGX probably thinks it is still connected).

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Harold, the auto reboot function in the VRM menu uses successful transmissions to VRM to reset its connection-watchdog timer. Meaning: wether it still thinks its connected to wifi doesn’t make a difference, after not being able to transmit to VRM for an hour it will reboot.

To check, go into the VRM menu, and look at the time since last connection entry, as well as the error entry. preferably also make a photo and post it here.

That time since last connection will never be more than an hour. It will either be dashes (failed to transmit since boot) or something below an hour.

Also, when failing to connect to the wifi, please make a photo of the wifi menu, so we can see what it says exactly. Thanks! Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks Matthijs,

I will wait for a new occurrence! ;-)
Harold

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Finally the issue appeared again, I try to make a chronological resume:

• At night 1 o'clock the router will have been automatically rebooted
  • 21h30 the VRM connection is lost and a data alarm is send.
  • (other wifi links kept working)
  • After I few days, no automatic fix.
  • I traveled to the boat and found the CCGX in the restart screen
  • it restarted, but could not make a Wifi connection
  • I rebooted the router
  • Still no fix for the CCGX and also the other wifi divices were lost.
  • I hard restarted the router!
  • All returned to normal again.

See sceenshots below.

Questions remain:

• Why couldn't the CCGX make a new connection,
  • although it probably restarted every hour
  • and the router rebooted every day
  • What does the error message mean?
  • Why can it finally resolve its issue? previeus time is reconnected after hours or days see alarm log:

schermafbeelding-2021-09-08-150801.png

20210908-134051.jpg20210908-133930.jpg

20210908-134022.jpg

20210908-134811.jpg

20210908-135306.jpg

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, looks like for some reason the GX device is unable to retrieve an IP address. So that somewhat implies that connecting to the wifi link works, but then retrieving an IP address does not.

You could try what happens if you configure a fixed IP address.

Btw, why the reboots of the GX device as well as the reboot of the router don't fix this is a mystery to me.

And, we'll be adding a fix for wifi into the v2.80 release candidates soon; but I don't think it will fix your issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Setting a fixed IP for the CCGX in the router seems to have stabilised the issue!

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Harold

0 Likes 0 ·