question

abegweit avatar image
abegweit asked

Correct Circuit protection for MPPT Battery Connection

Hi looking for some help understanding why my MPPT is tripping the breaker between it and the battery

System Config:

- Smart Solar MPPT 100/50

-Four 425W solar panels wired in parallel (I confirmed using the Victron Calculator that this PV configuration was compatible with the MPPT100/50)

- Two Victron 12.8/100 smart wired in series for 24V system

- VE.BUS BMS and a VE.Direct non-inverting cable wired from the charge disconnect terminal of the BMS to the VE.Direct port of the MPPT

- Battery connections are short (< 30cm) 6 AWG from MPPT to battery.

- Positive wire from MPPT to the battery is protected by marine switch/breaker rated for 60A and 12-48VDC. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0948NVY7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Problem:

On a sunny day, the MPPT reports (via Victron Connect) 50 A output to the battery (its limit), and this trips the breaker after 2-3min.

Reducing the array to three 425 W panels, the MPPT reports 40A out to the battery and the breaker trips after 3-4min.

I replaced the breaker with an 80A (80A is higher than specified in the MPPT manual but I had it available to test). 80A breaker also tripped with 4 panels operating and the MPPT reporting 50A to the battery. With 3 panels in operation and 40A output from the MPPT the 80A breaker did not trip.

I do not have a way to measure the actual current output from the MPPT but the manual and the Victron calculator indicate that the 100/50 will limit current output to 50A.

Does anyone have any idea why the MPPT 100/50 is tripping the 60A breaker?

Thank you

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shea avatar image
shea answered ·

I would try a quality breaker, like Blue Sea or Bussmann. Those audio grade & knockoff breakers are notorious for failing, sometimes without opening the circuit.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

abegweit avatar image abegweit commented ·
thanks @shea. I have ordered a Blue Sea 70A breaker and will try that. In the mean time I have reduced the charge current on the MPPT100/50 to 30A and have all four panels connected to it.

Can anyone explain how the MPPT limits its charge current? Would reducing to 30A cause the MPPT to run cooler than if the charge current was set to 50A?

During bulk charging at 50A the MPPT was pretty warm.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic