question

georgeleonardo avatar image
georgeleonardo asked

Could someone please check if I'm thinking this right?

Hey folks! I'm setting up the electrical for my van conversion and have zero experience besides videos and articles. I came across the Smart BMS CL 12-100 but I'm not super sure if that's what I need? It charges the battery safe from the alternator, right? Sames as the Orion? Is it a new thing?

I've put this diagram together to illustrate what I'm thinking. Please ignore fuse/trip sizes as it's just to illustrate, I still need to calculate everything.

Anyway, would really appreciate some thoughts on this.

MPPT SmartSolarLithium BatteryBMSOrion DC-DC Converters not smartalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

Your missing the BMS for the Lithium. And you should have some kind of BVM, which gives a lot of good monitoring info. I added a cerbo-GX and it should soon eliminate the tank monitoring system in your RV as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgeleonardo avatar image georgeleonardo commented ·

Wait, isn't the Smart BMS CL 12-100 the BMS for the Lithium? And wouldn't be possible to check the battery info on the app instead of getting a BVM?

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image
cleaver answered ·

Sorry missed the BMS. I had kids and dogs fighting in the other room lol.

The BVM has a shunt which measures the power extremely well. If thats they way you wanna go, then check out the smart shunt. No display, bluetooth. I haven't seen one but if someone else can chime in. I would imagine it will connect and display the same info.

2 |3000

georgeleonardo avatar image
georgeleonardo answered ·

I was told this by the dealer:

We do not recommend using a SmartBMS 12/100 in vehicles, we rather advice to use a regular BMS (VE.Bus BMS) and a battery to battery charger (for instance BB1260 from Sterling Power or Orion-Tr Smart charger from Victron Energy)

2 |3000