question

mol2506 avatar image
mol2506 asked

Is there a way to turn off charging via the VictronConnect app? I'm using the Victron Smart Blue IP67 charger.

I am using a 40A Solar Charge Controller and wonder why one would have a battery charger connected all the time? If I am charging my batteries via solar, doesn't the charger defeat the purpose?

victron products
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I’m using a different charger, a MultiPlus, but I think the concept still fits. Both devices are battery chargers, so it might seem like having two on is pointless, but they do operate a bit differently, and complement each other.

A charger senses battery voltage, comes on when needed, follows a charge program, then turns off. It cares not whether the sun is shining.

A SCC also reads battery charge, and provides voltage to charge batteries and carry system loads when incoming PV is available. Absent any system loading, it acts pretty much like a battery charger, following a charge profile. As long as there is adequate incoming PV, it’ll supply charge and load power until the battery is charged (the whole system comes up to 100% charge voltage). But, no sun… no power.

The nice thing about having both, set correctly, is that it is a “belt & suspenders“ approach that happens automatically. The charger will remain off as long as the SCC is providing sufficient power, and will kick on when PV either isn’t up to the needs or unavailable altogether.

So you don’t have to have both all the time, but (set correctly) they play very nicely together!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic