question

canalsman avatar image
canalsman asked

Connect 5.48 beta voltage differences between devices

Hello

Last night I installed Connect v5.48 beta on my SmartShunt and SmartSolar 100/20. This I did because I have been waiting for an update to allow long term trend monitoring.

I have two Poweroad LiFePO4 100ah batteries connected in parallel.

The SmartSolar float voltage is set at 14.20.

The batteries went to float mode this morning at about 1037.

The SmartSolar records the battery voltage at that time as 14.21 which ties in with the 14.2v set as float.

The maximum voltage recorded by the SmartShunt is about 13.45 and is at the same time. That value had been held for at least 15 minutes.

I don't understand why there is a difference.

The voltage shown on both devices around midday is the same at 13.2v.

The batteries themselves through Bluetooth show that same voltage and 100% state of charge.

Can anyone suggest why there is such a large disparity in voltage?

Thanks in anticipation...

Chris

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
tstr7119 avatar image
tstr7119 answered ·

Had the same issue with MPPT voltage drifting. Powered the MPPT off by shutting down both solar and battery connection for 5 minutes and when powering back on voltage discrepancy on the MPPT was gone

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

canalsman avatar image
canalsman answered ·

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

Cheers

Chris

2 |3000

canalsman avatar image
canalsman answered ·

Right, I tried that leaving the SmartSolar powered off for about 15 minutes.

The problem remains. When the SmartSolar reports the voltage having reached float at 14.2v the SmartShunt shows the voltage as 13.43v.

Question is is this a reporting error by the SmartShunt or a product fault?

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You have to remember that the trends only record at 30 minutes intervals.

And that none of these devices have real time clocks.

So comparing voltage readings from 2 different devices could be from different time within that 30 minute interval?

2 |3000

canalsman avatar image
canalsman answered ·

The beta release appears to enable a real time clock seemingly set via Bluetooth from my Android phone.

So the values are definitely comparable at the same time. The trends record at one minute intervals with the beta.

2 |3000

Related Resources