question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Prevent VRM storage on USB/SD media?

Is there a way to prevent logging to a USB or SD memory stick?

When a memory stick is inserted it automatically becomes the place off-line VRM data is stored. However, if there's a .swu file on the stick this does not happen. There are other reasons to insert a memory stick like updating other software (for example my GuiMods package) and this should not be used for VRM storage.

Yes, I know if there is another memory stick installed that IS being used for VRM off-line storage, a new stick will not become the logging source, but I'm not sure we can rely on this especially if USB ports are limited.

VRMVenus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Hi Kevin, super nice work with all your GUI mods and a credit to you for all the hours you have put in and shared with the wider Victron community.

Have you tried to simply add a random file with the .swu extension onto the same flash/USB drive?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Good idea, but it doesn't work.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
I can add an empty file named venus.swu and that prevents logging.

Inserting the memory stick does change menu focus to the software update page though where it reports an error.
0 Likes 0 ·