question

jetforme avatar image
jetforme asked

Block-level system design for complete multi-source/multi-load Lithium-based system?

I've built some solar power systems in the past around lead-acid batteries, and they're generally fairly straightforward because of the ease of charging lead-acid. For example, I could feed a lead-acid pack with both a solar charge controller and a wind charge controller wired in parallel.

But now I want to build something with more options based around lithium battery chemistry. I feel like this has been done over and over, but I'm having a hard time finding an overview.

I want a battery-powered system of DC and AC loads (this part is easy enough), with solar, wind, and grid power inputs. The grid power has to be flexible, 120/240 V, 50/60 Hz. And it needs grid isolation (this is a marine application). And the batteries are lithium (probably LiFePO4), with all their attendant charging requirements (I know a lot of large Li batteries have some built-in BMS capability). And note that the DC load can be quite large at times (peaks of 20 - 40 kW). I don't think Victron makes anything that operates over 48 V, but 72V or 96V for the pack voltage would be a nice perk.

Are there any resources describing such a system? Thanks!

battery chargingLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers