question

desertdweller avatar image
desertdweller asked

Smart battery sense mounting location

Hello all,

I recently installed a SmartSolar MPPT controller in my camping trailer. As I replaced an older PWM contoller, I used the same mounting location which was inside the trailer under a bunk. The deep cycle battery is a sealed flooded lead acid battery stored in a marine battery box located inside a bin mounted to the trailer tongue. Given the difference in locations, I also installed a Smart Battery Sense monitor on the battery.

Does the Smart Battery Sense detect the battery temperature from the eyelet on the battery post or does it detect the temperature from being in contact with the plastic body of the battery? If the latter, does it matter where the Smart Battery Sense is mounted on the battery? Top? Long side? Short Side? Can I keep it just wedged between the batter and the box?

Thanks much.

Smart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Smart Battery Sense only detects battery temperature from it's body & is designed to be stuck to/in contact with the body of the battery. It is supplied with a self adhesive pad on its backside.

If you have multiple batteries it is best to mount it to one of the central batteries as they should be the hottest/worst.

In terms of placement, even though most people are sticking them anywhere on the body, particularly for flooded batteries it's best to mount it somewhere around the middle of the long side - so that it is below the internal liquid height and will have the most accurate reading of internal temperature.

If you want to do some further reading, the 'Rolls' battery manual (download online) has some good info about battery temperature sensor mounting position.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

desertdweller avatar image desertdweller commented ·

@Mark Thank you. I will read the Rolls manual as suggested.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ desertdweller commented ·

No worries...

0 Likes 0 ·
bigal avatar image
bigal answered ·

What about for GEL batteries? Same mounting location?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Smart Battery Sense Product Page

Smart Battery Sense Manual